What UU pokemon are least common BUT have potential?

Oh, Magcargo has Recover over any hard Swellow counter.
Not that valuable though.

Magcargo best use is to support. How?

Dual Screens, Memento, Will-o-Wisp, Yawn, Stealth Rock (and hey, Uxie has alll those... except Will-o-Wisp and the recovery move).

Anyway: what people think of Exeggutor?
I mean, the most hard hitting grass poke isn't something to just ignore IMO.

55 Base Speed, Weakness to Fire, Ice, Dark, Ghost, and Bug, and the existence of Registeel are enough to keep him down.

But, access to Sleep, Explosion, and already said 125 Stat is amazing if you build a team around him.

Eh, Froslass and Moltres are/were? Suspect BL so I guess thats something to consider if it can wall those...Forgot about subseed, I guess that screws Magcargo over with Venusaur...well its more useful than I thought it was capable of being, so no Magcargo for me.

and Overhazard, what Poke are you talking about?

Low Kick says hi to Registeel.

Really, people often forgets it's base 95 attack... And access Swords Dance (just like every damn grass poke... i like saying that lol).
Wood Hammer still hurts. And a SD Low Kick is going to KO Regi, that's for sure.
And Explosion, oh Explosion...

Ok, SD is only good on Sunny Day teams. lol.

But there's Trick Room as well. In fact, my most sucessuful Exeggutor set outside Sun was Trick Room/Sleep Powder/Psychic/Leaf Storm. One turn, and you can totally mess the opponent team (and that Eggy was uses as a "standalone", using Trick Room just for itself).

Also, think about the possibility of a mixed Eggy with Low Kick/Leaf Storm/Psychic/Synthesis or Explosion or Sleep Powder.
So many possibilities for such a weakness magnet poke...

PS: oh, it gets Wish. I bet no one knew that (me included lol).

I love Exeggutor on sun teams. It is very fun OHKOing everything on an offensive team. It has some trouble with stall, but it just rips through offense when in the sun.

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
Eh, I don't really see what Eggy has going for it other than Trick Room and Sun. As an offensive poke, its speed really weighs it down. It can't even utilize its great attacking stats to wallbreak because 55 speed is outrun by a lot of stuff and way too easily revenged with its multitude of weaknesses. Support Eggy does have Wish and Sleep Powder, but given the prevalence of U-turn, even Uxie will do 90%+.

It's a slow hard hitter. Or a fast sweeper. Or a annoyer. Or a support poke.
It can do many things, but doesn't excel at anything (unless it mets some conditions).

But, like i mentioned that depends much on some conditions (Sun, Trick Room, etc)... that's why Eggy isn't as good as it used to be.
But you won't stay in on U-Turns with support Eggy. Logically.

And with 6456348968764968 weaknesses, it's somewhat hard to use Eggy on the team. Though Houndoom is a very very nice partner.

I've been using Tauros lately on an NU team, but of course it's hard to find NU battles so most of what the team fights is UU. I think it definitely fits the description of uncommon but still effective. The set I run is:

Tauros @ life orb
252 Atk / 252 Spe Jolly

Return
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Pursuit

Return gets STAB, Edgequake for coverage and Pursuit for revenge-killing. Pursuit may seem odd, but it works well with Intimidate. It's most common targets are Mismagius, Rotom, Dugtrio, and Swellow, but it can work well against many frail or damaged opponents that Tauros scares away. Intimidate is useful in every match, and Tauros has the defense to use it pretty well. He does about 40% to Blastoise and Milotic bulky waters, so with some entry hazard support he can get by them without too much trouble. He still has trouble with stall, however, but with a wall breaker at his side and a bulkly water or ground to deal with Steelix and Donphan he can do pretty well on an offensive team. His great speed, decent power and coverage, and Intimidate make him a great cleaner and revenge killer who can sweep if you manage to remove the opponent's Normal resist / Spiritomb. In OU, the only thing people notice about Tauros is that it gets walled by Skarmory and Bronzong. However, in UU it can do at least 33% to anything that walls it, meaning that its counters, who are pretty much all susceptible to spikes, must stay healthy if they don't want Tauros getting by them.

you might be surprised but i use SLAKING:it can deal damage like a badass and can take hits like one,its fun to see people's faces when their lead is OHKO'd by the lazy gorilla

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
But you won't stay in on U-Turns with support Eggy. Logically.
Lol yes of course. What I meant by that is that with U-turn everywhere, Eggy won't even be able to do its support job against another (and rather common) supporter in Uxie. Which certainly doesn't help its cause when it's trying to stall some attacks and pass Wishes around.

@Scoopapa

Yes, Tauros is certainly one dangerous BAMF. One issue it may have is that if it doesn't have all that support, it can't break through the walls that you listed. Setting up and keeping the hazards will certainly take effort, and your opponent can (and should) easily switch out their physical wall when faced with a bulky water.

you might be surprised but i use SLAKING:it can deal damage like a badass and can take hits like one,its fun to see people's faces when their lead is OHKO'd by the lazy gorilla
I don't think I've ever seen an opponent's face on shoddy :P. Doesn't Traunt backfire pretty badly if they have a Focus Sash, though?

on the subject of slaking, people forget he has base 100 speed and big defenses. After he Ko's someone with Return (I sometimes run giga impact, this scenario plays out the same) people will send out a setup poke with less than 100 base speed to setup swords dance or something. Then I KO them next turn. Just because you can setup, doesn't mean you won't be OHKO'ed next turn.

The problem is that people often sends something that resists Return. If Slaking has CB, it has to switch (because you won't like a free Head Smash from Aggron, or Thunder Wave from Registeel, right?).

If it still stays in, it's obvious that it's not Choiced then. Unless the person is stupid and stay in spamming Return on Aggron or something.

@Scoopapa

Yes, Tauros is certainly one dangerous BAMF. One issue it may have is that if it doesn't have all that support, it can't break through the walls that you listed. Setting up and keeping the hazards will certainly take effort, and your opponent can (and should) easily switch out their physical wall when faced with a bulky water.
This is very true - Tauros isn't going to play the role of "sole sweeper on a bulky team" very well. He needs teammates that are also doing fast damage to be effective. For instance, I'll break down his role on the NU team I use him on. His partner in sweeping is Rapidash, who isn't countered by Steelix, Spiritomb, Slowbro (with prediction and Stealth Rock at least) or Torterra, and can at least cripple Rhyperior with Will-o-Wisp. Tauros can get past the bulky waters that aren't Slowbro with support from Stealth Rock and Articuno, so that helps out Rapidash. With help from a wall breaker (in this case Luxray), I can soften up an opponent's team for a sweep from one of the two hoofed sweepers.

That's more the kind of team that Tauros thrives in. On that team, he is possibly the most dangerous member (competing with Articuno :P), but at the same time, he can certainly suck if he's on the wrong type of team. I also imagine you could come up with better offensive and defensive partners if you weren't limiting yourself to NU.

So to summarize, the way of using Tauros that I've found to be effective is:

1. Pair him with a fast offensive partner who can handle walls that he can't and can sweep in similar fashion.

2. Give him Stealth Rock and a little extra damage against Milotic, Blastoise, and Quagsire, if the sweeper from part 1 doesn't already handle them.

3. Use a wall breaker to poke enough holes in your opponent's team for one of the two sweepers to make a sweep. Even if you only take down a couple of pokemon, you should then have enough slack for the partner to finish the job.

I love Exeggutor on sun teams. It is very fun OHKOing everything on an offensive team. It has some trouble with stall, but it just rips through offense when in the sun.
Speaking of Exeggutor, I noticed he got Low Kick in one of the new tutors (I forget whether it's Platinum or HGSS... I don't own a DS). It might be fun to try the Swords Dance version in the sun. The on-site set uses HP Fire and a SpDef lowering nature, but with Low Kick, you can OHKO Registeel without going mixed. Wood Hammer means it actually hits harder than Victreebel, and Zen Headbutt will come in handy against Weezing, Venasaur, the Nidos, Hitmontop, and anything frail that you want to hurt without taking Wood Hammer damage. Arcanine dies to +1 Zen Headbutt with Stealth Rock damage, too, but it's only certain if you're Adamant.

i just wanted to say camerupt has potential. Fantastic stab coverage, kmmunities to twave and wow, acess to rock polish and explosion...

Omastar is a great lead. SR/Spikes/Knock Off can really screw up some stuff. Knock Off their switch-in item. Lovely to see their Choice Items or Life Orbs get knocked off.

The problem is that people often sends something that resists Return. If Slaking has CB, it has to switch (because you won't like a free Head Smash from Aggron, or Thunder Wave from Registeel, right?).

If it still stays in, it's obvious that it's not Choiced then. Unless the person is stupid and stay in spamming Return on Aggron or something.
Except people will switch in something that can set up, like houndoom. Slaking is not slow. But I see your point about things like aggron, but anybody running slaking needs to make sure to carry something that can handle threats like that

yond

mitt game strong
is a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Manetric, Sharpedo, and Scyther to name a few.

All three are fast, hit hard, and have useful stab. What i feel holds them back is their inability to switch in all the time.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm pretty sure people don't underate Scyther. It's close a top tier threat and can sweep at a moments notice. It's typing allows it to switch into a good amount of moves as well.

yond

mitt game strong
is a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I wouldn't say its underrated its just that I hardly see it on the ladder, which leads me to think people dont find it viable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)