You Can't Touch This

This is my first RMT thread and I hope I am following all the rules. I read them all but it was a lot to take in.
Anyway, I have been having a lot of success with this team lately. Most of my failures with it have had to do more with human error and bad prediction versus team structure.

As you can see, every Pokemon on my team has an immunity to some type or the other. This makes it every effective for switching Pokemon back and forth at will. Also Many of these Pokes are not effected or effected very little by entry hazards. Usually I will switch in to an attack that my Pokemon is immune to, and set up as my opponent switches out. Originally, I used Togekiss and Zoroark on this team. Zoroark works great with Gengar at the back of my team, fooling people into using a Psychic attack on a Dark Pokemon. This worked well for a while but many experienced challengers were able to predict what I am doing and Zoroark lacked the power and bulk that I needed. So I switched him out for Hydreigon for more stability and an added immunity with the ability Levitation. Togekiss also lacked the power that I needed as well. I switched him for Metagross since Metagross has few weaknesses, more power and bulk, and is immune to poison. Also, Metagross is just so slick looking.
For the curious, most of my Pokemon are named after demons in Christianity.

Raijin (Jolteon) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Signal Beam

Generally, I used Jolteon as a lead to see what Pokemon my opponent is going to send out. I then use Volt Switch to cause damage and switch to Gengar, Vaporeon, Gliscor, or Hydreigon. Or anything that I think will resist the attack I am predicting they are going to use.

Eurynome (Gengar) (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Disable
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Gengar is a must for a team based off of type immunity. He is immune to 4 different types and is quick enough to get out a substitute if I am worried my prediction is wrong. I can than disable any move I feel is a threat and continue to pummel the opponent.

Thamuz (Metagross) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 160 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Hone Claws
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash

Metagross has very few weaknesses and is immune to poison, which is a plus against Toxic Spikes and his typing makes Spikes and Stealth Rock useless. I chose to use Hone Claw in aiding with the low accuracy of Meteor Mash and the occasional miss with Zen Headbutt. I try to avoid using moves with low accuracy since they almost always seem to fail when I need them most. I prefer powering up weaker attackes with high accuracy when the opponent switches out. Which seems to be often with Metagross.

Abaddon (Hydreigon) (F) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Rash Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Superpower

Hydreigon is here for his immunity to Ground and Psychic types and his power and bulk. Since I am running both Draco Meteor and Superpower, I chose to use a Expert Belt to extend life and hopefully take out Blissey with Superpower.

Ornias (Gliscor) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spd
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

Gliscor is one of my favorite Pokemon and with his Poison Heal ability he has an immunity to 3 types. Also, while Gliscor is poisoned, he cannot be effected by any other status problem. I used to run Substitute over Protect but I found too many Pokemon still out sped Gliscor and this would often lead to a quick loss. Ice Fang is there for Landorus and other Gliscor. It also helps my team with Dragons.

Focalor (Vaporeon) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
Bold Nature
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Wish
- Scald
- Heal Bell

Vaporeon is here for support and healing. Umbreon may be a better choice for this job, but I think Vaporeon is a better fit for my team. I used to run the classic Toxic/Protect technique, but I found that method to be often useless and chose to use Hidden Power Grass to take out other water types.

I see that you picked thunder you may have a hard time that move has terrible acc if you are like me and miss most the time you try to find a diffrent move that can also do a great amount of power.i suggest thunderbolt its the next best thing with way better acc

Your set has very strong typing, leading to a powerful defensive line. Your coverage is good if not great and Your team has no single pokemon or type that will immediately put it in a world of hurt.

That said, consider this scenario:
1. You start wit your jolteon as mentioned, your opponent leads Hippowdon.

2. You have two options here: either go for the HP-ice or switch into your Gliscor to both take the E-quake and avoid sand damaging some of your more dangerous sweepers early.

3(a). Even though you used HP-ice Hippowdon survives (in fact it will take 3 hits if you come across a special bulky Hippowdon), Opponent uses Ice fang or E-quake (Ice Fang will 2HKO with sand and E-Quake will OHKO) You lose an Important Counter and are now completely vulnerable to a whole lot of dragons.

3(b). After your switch your Gliscor is hit hard with Ice fang taking the OHKO or you avoid the E-Quake but are next turn in line for some serious Ice fang Carnage. You end up in major doodoo with the switch, and keep in mind that he may predict the switch wrong and go for a stealth rock, which is not what you want.

This is, of course, a purely hypothetical scenario, but it does some work highlighting the most major flaw with your team (which is definitely solid): Human error. It's not that you are inferior to your opponent's team, but you led poorly with Jolteon. This team, although well matched to each other, suffers from an approach that treats each pokemon as a separate set of resistances which has to support itself as opposed to a set which take down each other's counters. With this in mind consider the following changes as well as other possibilities to better fit your pokemon to their strengths.

Jolteon:
1.Switch in a T-bolt for thunder (the accuracy of thunder is cripplingly bad without rain, it may work well against rain teams but overall is an inferior STAB move)
2. Don't use this one like a lead, I might suggest Vaporeon or Gliscor instead, both can take hits FAR better than jolteon which is rather more of a glass cannon.

Gengar:
1.Swap your disable for a toxic. Any pokemon that is going to put Gengar in trouble with one move will put it in enough trouble with just one hit to make this move a moot point, also they are likely to carry another move that will just open up a second can of whoop-ass and catch you off guard. Toxic is the move Gotham needs, not the move Gotham wants. Your team is uniquely suited to switch stall while your opponent is left fretting over their toxic, but you lack the move completely. Gengar is the ideal carrier for two reasons, it is almost certain to be able to get one off, and most will expect the move on gliscor.

Metagross: Deal. I'll take it as is.

Hydreigon:
1.Outrage instead of DM, It may seem odd, but that SpA debuff will nearly force a switchout after one use. Sure you need power behind your stab, but You still get a huge amount of power on the outrage and you don't sacrifice power later on (especially if you use a mental herb)
2. Change your item. Yes an expert belt is very strong, but you are left with a couple of problems, you can get RK'd by scarfMence, Lati@s, or plenty of ice types, A choice scarf will let you wreak havoc uninterrupted. You could also go for a mental herb to bounce back from that confusion after the Outrage.

Gliscor:
1. Forget Protect, use roost. Gliscor can wall like a champ, but without recovery it can get itself into some knee-deep doodoo, protect is generally less useful.

Vaporeon: fair enough, This one's just fine!

Your team rocks, hopefully I've helped it rock even more. Thanks! :)

Hey thanks a lot for the advice! I thought I would be emailed when someone posted to this thread but apparently not. That's why I did not respond. I have actually made A LOT of changes to this team since I posted this but I will take these changes into consideration and see what works. Thanks a lot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)