NP: UU - Silent Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upstart

Copy Cat
Yea poliwrath is staying if my own matches taught me anything. He was everywhere. But I find it funny that most people aren't using his best mov, encore, and are instead opting to use bulk up.

Khan I don't think will make the cut not because he isn't good enough but because he just doesn't seem to be used enough at least from my own experience but CB Return makes sure I carry a steel or rock type on everyteam.

Manectric just needed a little more bulk. Besides that he is a major threat with great coverage and really hard to switch into.

I don't know why you would say Absol will drop. I have seen a number of them and they can be could when used properly. Could you explain your logic?

Oh and I predict that Qwilfish will probably make the cut for UU as the lead set gets more popular.

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
@Head Smash:

You cannot prove that I still believe in the arguments I made several phases ago. I will explicitly state right now that I currently have no opinion on Raikou - I just don't care about it.

The posts I made in the kd24's thread were made for the sole purpose of making a point: that the arguments were reasonable (not necessarily correct). I explicitly stated that I objected to SJCrew's condescension in the thread in question; my motive should have been made apparent right then and there.

Additionally, I discussed Venusaur awhile back with Bluewind, and he presented an argument in the vein of "I can make a team that is naturally capable of handling Venusaur. I don't have to overprepare for it, and preparing for Venusaur doesn't force me to significantly open up my team to other threats." This is the same way I felt towards Raikou. As a more defensive player, I naturally would have more trouble with Venusaur than Raikou. Perhaps this might explain my position a little better.
Felt, not feel. This is my justification towards voting Raikou UU, not voting Venusaur BL and Raikou UU.

I was previously arguing under the impression that voting Raikou UU was "right," as Banedon was the person in question with whom I was discussing the issue, and he proposed it.

Furthermore, Raikou was banned anyway, so I was "wrong" in that regard, wasn't I?
Banedon said:
Finally Eo I don't think you're wrong by voting Raikou UU - it's just that based on your position for Raikou, I would've expected you to argue that Venusaur is UU.
But for the sake of consistency, I will go ahead and suggest - well, establish - that I was wrong in that regard. To be honest, my position on Raikou varied throughout the phase. I thought it was BL at the beginning and UU by the end. What do I think of it now? Frankly, I don't give a damn. It was too long ago, and it doesn't matter to me at all now.

“Milotic is better than Venusaur” in conjunction with your failure to nominate Milotic--I am convinced that what I have said is in fact true.
I never thought this would be such a big deal. Are all my words scrutinized or something? I said it in an informal setting, not to mention that the word "better" is too vague to hold any weight anywhere without further description.

Re: Heysup

Your reasoning contradicts your argument.

"Venusaur and Moltres never compete for a spot on a team. They are different types, and can switch into different threats."

"People use whatever Pokemon fits in their team for their strategy, and not all good Pokemon have synergy with one another (for example, Pokemon like Spiritomb and Mismagius don't go too well together)."

This is part of why Venusaur vs. Moltres is a meaningless comparison.

They are completely valid and describe the similarities of the Pokemon in question. I may not have 100% defined those terms, but that's because they have mostly well-known and understood definitions. You know that "bulky" means "can switch in, take a hit, and not be killed". Hard to switch into is pretty straightforward. It means that they, either through Sleep Powder or insanely good coverage and power are both very hard to find a switch-in for. And Special Sweepers is quite obviously a Pokemon who tries to beat the opponent with powerful special attacks.
I disagree. Anything can "switch in, take a hit, and not be killed." You're completely ignoring typing/resistances and underestimating the effect of Stealth Rock. "Hard to switch into" ignores what exactly can switch into Moltres and Venusaur, since they have near-opposite counters. Special sweepers ignores the coverage the difference in Moltres's and Venusaur's coverage and also does Venusaur's versatility no justice.

First of all, bulky is completely including Moltres's Stealth Rock weakness. It can still switch into every Earthquake, which is the most common attack in the metagame. Additionally, it takes far less than 50% from most NVE attacks (ie Leaf Storm). Moltres also has Roost, and can find plenty of opportunities to use it (like against most Arcanine and Sceptile). Venusaur has Synthesis but only 8 PP and doesn't work in weather.
Now you're defending your points with the stats you previously dismissed. Furthermore, I highly doubt Earthquake is as common as it used to be (the first user of STAB Earthquake is Donphan at #17).

That aside, so what if it can switch into Leaf Storm? It has to Roost or else it will be KOed by Stealth Rock on the next switch-in, which makes the Moltres user lose a lot of momentum. Stealth Rock is not just a minor issue here in regard to Moltres; it is THE biggest problem that Moltres has.

Second, hard to switch into includes everything about Venusaur. Yes, I'm saying that Moltres is hard to switch into for different reasons than Venusaur, but they both are, when it comes down to it, very hard to switch a Pokemon into. That's the bottom line. Yes, I know Venusaur has Sleep Powder, but against an offensive team, Moltres using Fire Blast is probably harder to switch into than something using Sleep Powder simply because Fire Blast removes a Pokemon from the match, while Sleep Powder only temporarily removes them. You also need to consider Moltres's Speed. Venusaur is slow as balls, and Moltres can outpace the huge amount of Pokemon between base 80 and 90.
And against a defensive team, it's harder to switch in against Sleep Powder.

In addition to all of this, can you actually prove that Moltres is better than Venusaur if "Pokemon are [not] black and white"?

You cannot prove that I still believe in the arguments I made several phases ago. I will explicitly state right now that I currently have no opinion on Raikou - I just don't care about it.
I am not trying to "prove" anything. If I were trying to prove something, I would be attempting to lobby/veto your vote/nomination, not discuss it here in the megathread. As I recall, the discussion was simply Banedon making a point about the discrepancy between your votes, Heysup agreeing, I agreeing, and you disagreeing. I was responding to your disagreement and the justification you attached to it.

If you will notice, I was actually the first to suggest that you may have had a change of heart regarding Raikou--even before you. So no, I'm trying to prove nothing. I have only been responding to you, and I'll continue to do so.

Felt, not feel. This is my justification towards voting Raikou UU, not voting Venusaur BL and Raikou UU.
I believe the point of contention was: "As a more defensive player, I naturally would have more trouble with Venusaur than Raikou. Perhaps this might explain my position a little better. " Well, not contention, really. But here you indirectly justify the discrepancy with your playstyle. If you're willing to retract this justification, I can believe that you had a change of heart, as I originally did.

I never thought this would be such a big deal. Are all my words scrutinized or something? I said it in an informal setting, not to mention that the word "better" is too vague to hold any weight anywhere without further description.
Scrutiny? It was a parenthetical (okay, I used dashes, I admit it) note. The statement only places everything beside it in context. There was no scrutiny; I was making a relevant observation. Again, I am trying to prove nothing. If I were I would bring up our IRC discussions as well (but lol, I see no reason I should try to prove something here).

Was going to post about Moltres vs. Venusaur too, but I'll let Heysup respond first, since it's his argument, not mine.

It's not terribly unreasonable to assume that when Moltres is sent out, Rocks are off the field most of the time. Most teams that run Moltres also carry a dedicated spinner, and spinning is incredibly easy to do in UU. Obviously Rocks can't be prevented all of the time, but the Moltres user will avoid switching Moltres into Rocks if they can.

Now you're defending your points with the stats you previously dismissed.
Except you'll notice he's actually using the stats in a way that makes sense. You know, using them to determine what is more common and not what is "better". There's no contradiction.

"Venusaur and Moltres never compete for a spot on a team. They are different types, and can switch into different threats."

"People use whatever Pokemon fits in their team for their strategy, and not all good Pokemon have synergy with one another (for example, Pokemon like Spiritomb and Mismagius don't go too well together)."
I don't see the contradiction here. In his argument, he is saying that Venusaur and Moltres can be compared in how difficult they are to counter and their bulk. Then he goes on to say that Venusaur and Moltres are never in direct competition for a team slot; both can be used together, especially because they mesh well together into a FWG core.

If you're running in the sun, you're not gonna have Sleep Powder. Unless you're running the coverage of Grass/Fire. Then that's just a joke.

And obviously, in my post about being cockblocked by Registeel, I was talking about a sunny-less HPfire-less Exeggutor.
Choice Socks Exegg' set does run both Sleep Powder and Sunny Day. And Grass/ Fire is pretty standard for a Sunny Day sweeper, considering both get a boost in the sun. So... it's not really a joke.

Exeggutor@ Lifeorb
252Sp.atk/ 4Sp.def/ 252Spd
Modest Nature (+Sp.Atk,-Atk)
- Sleep Powder
- Sunny Day
- Solar Beam
- HP Fire

He has Sleep Powder listed so basically you just prefer Psychic over Sunny Day. Unless you meant Synthesis. I ran Exeggutor for a while but dropped him because he just can't perform the bulky switch in role as well as Venusaur does. He's a lot harder to switch into than Venusaur, but still gets cockblocked by Registeel
As far as "sunny-less HPfire-less Exeggutor" being cockblocked by Registeel, he isn't. The set that Upstart suggests is, yes, but a SD set with Low Kick pretty much takes care of him, with a +2 Low Kick doing 105.5% - 124.7% to a standard 'Steel. Even at +0 it still manages 52.7% - 62.6%.

That set really isn't outside of the realm of possibility since if you are running "sunny-less HPfire-less Exeggutor" (which doesn't make much sense since your basically negating using his only ability) your options are limited to status inducer (which so many things do better), a not-very-effective-without-sun Special attacker, or a Swords Dancer, of which he makes a unique candidate due to his dual STAB and relatively exclusive move Wood Hammer. Of course, even the SD set would be better with Sunny Day.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Exeggutor has way better Sp. Att, so there's really no point to running SD, and it's reflective of why no one does to begin with. Shiftry is the best SD sweeper in the Sun anyway because he doesn't automatically become useless death fodder when the sunlight wears off.

Exeggutor has way better Sp. Att, so there's really no point to running SD, and it's reflective of why no one does to begin with. Shiftry is the best SD sweeper in the Sun anyway because he doesn't automatically become useless death fodder when the sunlight wears off.
I know it has way better SpA, but the fact remains that with 95 Base Atk and SD, a SD set is viable. The discussion is about Exeggutor functioning as a stand alone Sunny Day sweeper. Yes, use it as a SpA sweeper on a Sunny Day team and use other Pokemon to deal with the likes of Registeel, everyone knows that. But if you are running it alone, and are having trouble with Registeel, use HP Fire, or use Low Kick. Obviously one of those has better synergy with the rest of it's movepool, working off (what most people would use) sunlight and it's higher SpA stat, and is an all around far superior choice. But an Exeggutor without HP fire and Sun is still not useless against Registeel, like it was claimed.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
As far as "sunny-less HPfire-less Exeggutor" being cockblocked by Registeel, he isn't. The set that Upstart suggests is, yes, but a SD set with Low Kick pretty much takes care of him, with a +2 Low Kick doing 105.5% - 124.7% to a standard 'Steel. Even at +0 it still manages 52.7% - 62.6%.
:( My bad I forgot to say gimmick-less.

IME tangrowth is much better as an SD sweeper in the sun. Shiftry is so frail it is hard to find something to switch into to force it out to get the SD. The SD/NP is so predictable a lot of people just seem to attack.

tangrowth, on the other hand, can get an SD off even if something you are trying to force out stays in and attacks. IT has the bulk to survive.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've never had an issue getting SD with Shiftry before, so it's one of those things that works better in practice. The one thing you have to watch out for is Hitmontop, since you can't really beat it in any lifetime.

Upstart

Copy Cat
Okay I started testing out golduck because I saw someone mention it and it just seemed like something to do. I was more then surprised at how amazing this thing is. I then was amazed to find this thing is still in NU. If people were using Poliwrath for the rain I can't imagine the rise if people realize how ggood golduck is.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Golduck is pretty good. The only thing stopping it from being a top-tier threat is...wait for it...Milotic. If it learned Taunt it would probably make it onto every one of my teams, any water-type with Calm Mind and decent speed is theoretically fantastic.

Golduck is pretty good. The only thing stopping it from being a top-tier threat is...wait for it...Milotic. If it learned Taunt it would probably make it onto every one of my teams, any water-type with Calm Mind and decent speed is theoretically fantastic.
It might not learn taunt, but it does learn encore, which can be just as useful, if not more.

Upstart

Copy Cat
Agreed that encore is what made him work so effectively for me. And the speed that he has over Poliwrath makes up for lack of a second type imo.

I'm one of the Encore fetishists that FlareBlitz probably despises. I should probably revive my Jumpluff/Lopunny/Poliwrath team...

But seriously, if a Pokemon gets Encore it most likely will want to abuse it.

....But this is coming from an Encore fetishist.

Re: Heysup

Your reasoning contradicts your argument.

This is part of why Venusaur vs. Moltres is a meaningless comparison.
They don't compete for a spot on a team. This has absolutely nothing to do with the argument except for making your argument based on stats invalid. Just because they aren't the exact same / have similar typing does not mean you can't compare them. For example, you have Regirock and Registeel (or Steelix, whatever). Regirock and Registeel are both Pokemon that can switch into various threats and counter them. Registeel and Regirock can still be compared. Registeel has better defensive typing while Regirock has an excellent STAB and base Attack stat. However Regirock competes with Rhyperior for a spot on the team, and Registeel doesn't really compete with much, so usage doesn't indicate that Registeel is better, just that it has less competition for the specific niche it fills (note, specific means it is not the same as Regirock) due to its typing. One could easily argue that Regirock is better than Registeel (as a "tank"), but Regirock isn't as good as Rhyperior so it's used less.
Eo Ut Mortus said:
I disagree. Anything can "switch in, take a hit, and not be killed." You're completely ignoring typing/resistances and underestimating the effect of Stealth Rock. "Hard to switch into" ignores what exactly can switch into Moltres and Venusaur, since they have near-opposite counters. Special sweepers ignores the coverage the difference in Moltres's and Venusaur's coverage and also does Venusaur's versatility no justice.

First of all, bulky is completely including Moltres's Stealth Rock weakness. It can still switch into every Earthquake, which is the most common attack in the metagame. Additionally, it takes far less than 50% from most NVE attacks (ie Leaf Storm). Moltres also has Roost, and can find plenty of opportunities to use it (like against most Arcanine and Sceptile). Venusaur has Synthesis but only 8 PP and doesn't work in weather.

Second, hard to switch into includes everything about Venusaur. Yes, I'm saying that Moltres is hard to switch into for different reasons than Venusaur, but they both are, when it comes down to it, very hard to switch a Pokemon into. That's the bottom line. Yes, I know Venusaur has Sleep Powder, but against an offensive team, Moltres using Fire Blast is probably harder to switch into than something using Sleep Powder simply because Fire Blast removes a Pokemon from the match, while Sleep Powder only temporarily removes them. You also need to consider Moltres's Speed. Venusaur is slow as balls, and Moltres can outpace the huge amount of Pokemon between base 80 and 90.

I am not ignoring anything. I am including Stealth Rock (I even assume Stealth Rock is on the field 50% of the time or more). You are either not paying attention to my post, or severely underestimating flying-typing. (Once again, 7/11 BLs are immune/resist Earthquake, does that not tell you anything?)

Eo Ut Mortus said:
Now you're defending your points with the stats you previously dismissed. Furthermore, I highly doubt Earthquake is as common as it used to be (the first user of STAB Earthquake is Donphan at #17).
When you're looking to see how common something is, stats do apply.

When you're looking to see how powerful something is, stats do not apply.

And the most recent stats have Earthquake at roughly 20% (first by a large margin) compared to Surf at around 8%. This has been constant for basically every single metagame so far. Feel free to look them up. You're forgetting all of the non STAB Earthquakes and Pokemon like Rhyperior (who is #8 and you claim that Donphan is the first STAB Earthquake user..)

Eo Ut Mortus said:
That aside, so what if it can switch into Leaf Storm? It has to Roost or else it will be KOed by Stealth Rock on the next switch-in, which makes the Moltres user lose a lot of momentum. Stealth Rock is not just a minor issue here in regard to Moltres; it is THE biggest problem that Moltres has.
I never denied this. Moltres will have plenty of time to Roost once it's out so that it can come in and attack. You also don't "know" if it's going to Roost right away because it will likely try to take out it's main counter before. If Stealth Rock and Spikes are up against me, they are absolutely up against the opponent, and nothing can even think about switching in safely besides Chansey. Additionally, you simply cannot ignore that Stealth Rock cannot be spun or have the possibility of being set up.
Eo Ut Mortus said:
And against a defensive team, it's harder to switch in against Sleep Powder.
With Restalk Weezing, Chansey, Restalk Tomb, Restalk Arcanine, Restalk Torterra, and <insert Restalk Stall Pokemon here>, it's not remotely as hard to switch into as an attack from Moltres vs an offensive team.

Eo Ut Mortus said:
In addition to all of this, can you actually prove that Moltres is better than Venusaur if "Pokemon are [not] black and white"?
No, I'm not trying to. I'm trying to prove that Moltres has most of Venusaur's proclaimed "broken" characteristics (namely ease of switching in and difficulty to switch in) but isn't being considered broken by the same people. And for the last time, I don't think Moltres is better, Venusaur is.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
When you're looking to see how common something is, stats do apply.

When you're looking to see how powerful something is, stats do not apply.
I'd like to emphasize this. Stats reflect a number of things: Metagame trends, competition for moveslots, comparative effectiveness INSIDE A CLASS (i.e. comparing grass-types, bulky waters, etc), and how well Pokemon fare in an environment filled with other Pokemon. However, the actual power of a Pokemon isn't affected by stats. If Arcanine ran Thunder Fang 100% of the time, it wouldn't make Moltres deal less damage to Chansey with Fire Blast or something like that.

Also, something important to note re: Venusaur vs. Moltres in the stats.

Currently Venusaur is #2 and Moltres is #19. However, here's a couple important things.

1: Milotic is #1, and Venusaur roflstomps it, while Moltres has no goddamn business being in the same zip code as Milotic.
2: Venusaur requires a lot less team support in order to function, while for Moltres to be as effective as possible, you need to have stuff like "ways to beat Chansey" and a Rapid Spinner and other stuff.
3: Moltres is "a lot less versatile". Sure, there's defensive sets and offensive sets, but that's pretty much it. Venusaur can run SubSeed, SD, Defensive, straight up offensive, mixed, etc, and be good at pretty much all of them, making it again easier to fit into a team.
4: Moltres has extremely heavy competition with Arcanine for the role of "Fire-type" in a team, and it's barely even a contest. Only 2x SR weak instead of 4x, 2 more useful abilities, actual mixed potential, priority, etc. Meanwhile, Venusaur's closest competition is what? Leafeon, with its kiddie movepool and garbage Special Defense? Tangrowth, which is slow as balls, has no secondary STAB, and again, has terrible Special Defense? Let's face it, Venusaur stands far, far above the other Grass-types in the tier, while Moltres will always be playing second fiddle to Arcanine.

Don't take this as me trying to say "one is better than the other" or "I think one should be banned" or something like that. I just want to try and help clear up a common misconception that stats directly translate into power. Besides, I think we can all agree that Salamence is far and away more "powerful" than Heatran, Tyranitar, and Scizor, and yet it found itself playing second fiddle stats-wise to them fairly often.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Problem with Encore on Golduck is that you need to drop either coverage against Water types (Milotic...and Azu is dangerous too) or Grass types (Venusaur...) or Calm Mind in order to run it. All three of those are vital.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Alternatively you could run Psychic, which still hits Venusaur and Toxicroak very hard. It doesn't take on Milotic too well but it's better than Ice Beam!

:( My bad I forgot to say gimmick-less.
Funny, because it's not a gimmick. If it is then Mix Sceptile is a gimmick, as is Mix Tangrowth, or Mix Venu (yeah, seriously).

The fact is that Exeggutor, like most Grass types, have attacking stats that can both be utilised, as well as Swords Dance. Low Kick is able to 2HKO a standard Registeel WITHOUT a SD. 252 Atk/Adamant @Leftovers Donphan with STAB EQ can only manage a 2HKO. But your right, LOLZ TOTALLY A GIMMICK.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This X10. I've used CM Golduck a few times in the past, and I usually had difficulty with getting past Milotic. (Toxic, Haze etc)If Golduck had taunt, he would be awesome, possibly UU material. (Pure Theorymon however)

As for using CM/Encore, I wouldn't recommend it. CM Golduck doesn't have the coverage or the power to run 2 attacking moves like other stat boosters.

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head Smash said:
I believe the point of contention was: "As a more defensive player, I naturally would have more trouble with Venusaur than Raikou. Perhaps this might explain my position a little better. " Well, not contention, really. But here you indirectly justify the discrepancy with your playstyle. If you're willing to retract this justification, I can believe that you had a change of heart, as I originally did.
Honestly, I'm not sure why you posted only that part. I am sure you know very well that by doing so you change the entire meaning of my post.

Additionally, I discussed Venusaur awhile back with Bluewind, and he presented an argument in the vein of "I can make a team that is naturally capable of handling Venusaur. I don't have to overprepare for it, and preparing for Venusaur doesn't force me to significantly open up my team to other threats." This is the same way I felt towards Raikou.
This is the part of the rationale behind my vote.

As a more defensive player, I naturally would have more trouble with Venusaur than Raikou.
This doesn't even refer to my vote or why I voted what. This is an observation that explains the discrepancy between my opinion and others'.

Perhaps this might explain my position a little better.
This refers to the whole passage, not just the last sentence.

So no, I'm not retracting anything; all I'm saying is that I don't have any current opinion on Raikou.

Head Smash said:
Scrutiny? It was a parenthetical (okay, I used dashes, I admit it) note. The statement only places everything beside it in context. There was no scrutiny; I was making a relevant observation. Again, I am trying to prove nothing. If I were I would bring up our IRC discussions as well (but lol, I see no reason I should try to prove something here).
It's not relevant at all, and if you still think it is, I will make it irrelevant: Milotic is not better than Venusaur, nor is it necessarily worse than Venusaur.

And the most recent stats have Earthquake at roughly 20% (first by a large margin) compared to Surf at around 8%. This has been constant for basically every single metagame so far. Feel free to look them up. You're forgetting all of the non STAB Earthquakes and Pokemon like Rhyperior (who is #8 and you claim that Donphan is the first STAB Earthquake user..)
The last stats were taken almost a year ago, unless I'm missing something.

Heysup said:
I never denied this. Moltres will have plenty of time to Roost once it's out so that it can come in and attack. You also don't "know" if it's going to Roost right away because it will likely try to take out it's main counter before. If Stealth Rock and Spikes are up against me, they are absolutely up against the opponent, and nothing can even think about switching in safely besides Chansey. Additionally, you simply cannot ignore that Stealth Rock cannot be spun or have the possibility of being set up.
That's a gross exaggeration. Among other things, Milotic, special defensive Arcanine, and Azumarill can switch in, survive, and force Moltres out regardless of the presence of Stealth Rock on the field.

Heysup said:
With Restalk Weezing, Chansey, Restalk Tomb, Restalk Arcanine, Restalk Torterra, and <insert Restalk Stall Pokemon here>, it's not remotely as hard to switch into as an attack from Moltres vs an offensive team.
Defensive teams rely on their counters to be awake to cover certain threats; utilizing RestTalk forces a team to weaken itself to certain threats, plus these Pokemon are shoddy counters at best to particular threats whilst asleep.

Heysup said:
No, I'm not trying to. I'm trying to prove that Moltres has most of Venusaur's proclaimed "broken" characteristics (namely ease of switching in and difficulty to switch in) but isn't being considered broken by the same people. And for the last time, I don't think Moltres is better, Venusaur is.
Assuming Venusaur is better, then saying "Moltres has most of Venusaur's proclaimed 'broken' characteristics" does not prove anything. Why? Because it's either worse or incomparable. Proving X not broken makes the definitively worse Pokemon Y not broken; however, proving X not broken does not make the better Pokemon Y not broken.

One cannot also just look at the so-called "broken characteristics" by themselves. A full-blown analysis of the Pokemon in question should not be incorporated into a Pokemon's nomination. Just because such characteristics were not mentioned doesn't mean they don't hold any weight, especially when comparing two Pokemon.

Re: Stats. Stats are a direct measure of power if two Pokemon can be directly compared. I obviously don't believe that Moltres can be compared with Venusaur; therefore, I obviously don't think the stats are a valid representation of Venusaur's and Moltres's respective power, either. However, Heysup is attempting to compare the two, so I assumed that he assumed they could be directly compared; thus, I was incorporating the stats in my argument. Moltres has to actually be considered better than Venusaur (so if you're not actually trying to prove this, then your comparison is still invalid).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)