Base Stats of New Pokemon

I'm trying to make sense of the starters' roles based on their typings. Early on, we could infer that Tsutaaja was meant to be the frail, speedy type and that Pokabu was meant to be the bulkier, slower Pokemon.

Now that we have the BSTs for their final evos--with Jaroda having 75/95/95 defenses and Enbuoo having 110/65/65 defenses--doesn't that actually make Jaroda the tankier Poke (disregarding typing) in the end? Just want to confirm, so I'll know if I'm completely crazy or not.

I suppose running damage calcs would answer this question, but I have yet to find a program that'll let you input BSTs instead of picking from existing Pokemon (and/or I don't yet know how to modify one to let me do so).
I'm pretty sure Jaruda is stronger like you had said. Can't you just redistribute the numbers? So Jaroda is 135/65/65 or Enbuoo is 50/95/95? Either way Jaruda has more HP or defense, unless it's not that simple..

OK, I'm not sure if anyone else has done this, and while I do still think that it will be Uber in the end, there is stuff against it: Ononokusu 76/90/70 Defenses, with 4/0/0 that's you get (correct me if I'm wrong) 294/216/176. An important statistic to look at there is that CB Scizor's Bullet Punch does 60.2-70%, not enough to kill after SR, but enough to kill after a decent amount of passive damage. I also think it will have a harder time switching in than all of the other Big Dragons so far.

I'm trying to make sense of the starters' roles based on their typings. Early on, we could infer that Tsutaaja was meant to be the frail, speedy type and that Pokabu was meant to be the bulkier, slower Pokemon.

Now that we have the BSTs for their final evos--with Jaroda having 75/95/95 defenses and Enbuoo having 110/65/65 defenses--doesn't that actually make Jaroda the tankier Poke (disregarding typing) in the end? Just want to confirm, so I'll know if I'm completely crazy or not.

I suppose running damage calcs would answer this question, but I have yet to find a program that'll let you input BSTs instead of picking from existing Pokemon (and/or I don't yet know how to modify one to let me do so).
Jaroda, being both speedy and bulky, could make for a very durable staller that can use a support move or regain his health before the opponent has the chance to attack, hopefully it will have any combination of taunt, substitute, recover, screens, leech seed, and recovery move.

Enbuo seems to have gotten the short end of the stick, with low defenses despite high hp, but Nitro Charge with that monstrous attack and offensive movepool could actually make him pretty good.

It's Daikenki, at the moment, who seems to be the one who's going to have difficulties. Its defenses are just slightly better than Enbuo's, and the subpar speed just hurts it. Unless it gets a priority or speed-boosting move, the future looks bleak for the samurai walrus.

I am totally stoked for the new metagame. I can't wait to see how ou and ubers change.
I hope that most of these pokemon being discussed do make it into ou, but I suppose it's too early to tell. I love yanappu's evo, it looks really cool. And I'm glad the grass/steel seems viable, because it's a type combination I've wanted for a long time.

I'm not good at calculating viability and all that. How is Aianto?
Hustle with this 109 attack/109 speed is really good (it's like a free Choice Band, if ability doesn't change) but there's one problem - increasing missing chance on a pokemon so frail like Aianto begs for unfortunate hax. It doesn't have bulk like Togekiss to allow itself to take hit. It's gonna be UU for sure, however I still think it's not that horrible as many people make it.

Well if you add simple BST to their defenses...

150/150 on Jaroda vs 175/175 defenses, so I think you're mistaken. However Enbuoo has bad typing for defender, so Jaroda is still superior. There's one thing - starters most of times have good movepools, so there's a high chance for some really decent options like Dual Screens, Leech Seed, Sleep Powder, etc.

Will our SpaceBug (#649, the Downloader) even be usable in standard play? I mean, Arceus was banned for the longest time on account of not being officially obtainable, right? Will the new Event Pokemon be handled similarly, or will they be usable from day 1?
Just to tell you that Arceus was allowed at the beginning WITHOUT EVs restriction on Shoddy, so this time around it'll be like this again. At first allowed, and if we know it won't be available, even with some tricks, then Shoddy will ban it.

Also, about the dragon with 120 attack, doesn't Encourage mean it gets to Outrage without fear of confusion? That could be dangerous if it does indeed get Dragon Dance and manages to get to +2 somehow...otherwise maybe with some Twave support? I dunno I wouldn't completely write it off though.
Just one little thing and makes Pokemon much more viable. Unfortunately it's not speedy enough to fully abuse it.

And Ononokusu might me much more reasonable if it doesn't learn Outrage. Remember, Salamence at first knew only Dragon Claw... so maybe it'll have only Dragon Claw. If yes, then I see hope for this guy staying in OU.

Well if you add simple BST to their defenses...

150/150 on Jaroda vs 175/175 defenses, so I think you're mistaken.
That is not how it is done, a quick way can be found on the normalized base stats page. That said, grass starter has higher defence with 0EV invested

Minezumi and his evo?

Anyway i cant belive nobody considers the Dark/Dragon as good as the Kibago line...its got exccelent stats and a good ability.

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
So many pokemon with a base speed stat lingering around 90~110... I'm personally quite surprised by the amount of lolimon this time around. I'm definitely going to make a team based around Meloia somehow...

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Are there any pokemon that look like they instantly qualify for the lower tiers, just by their BSTs?
We have no idea. They could get some insane move that makes them more viable. In a day or two we'll know more.

WHY CAN'T BUFFALON BE GOOD?

In any case, here's what I'd look out for...
Meroetta #648 - Looks to be a fantastic special wall, with great special attack to boot. Depending on its movepool, could definitely be competitive.

Rankurusu #85 - Base 30 speed with solid HP and nice special attack means this could see play on Trick Room teams.

Desukan #563 - Ridiculous defense and pretty good special defense while not sacrificing all his other stats (i.e. Shuckle) will make this guy a decent wall, I believe.

Ononokusu #612 - Huge attack, again without sacrificing all his other stats in the process. Like Rampardos but actually good.

Aakeosu #567 - Good speed, absolutely fantastic mixed sweeper stats. Give it a good movepool and there is no doubt this guy will be a force in OU.

Agirudaa #617 - Holy SHIT it has 145 speed. :x Give it Stealth Rock! And Fake Out! And some decent special moves because it also has 100 base special attack! This is probably the guy I'm looking at the most right now, for obvious reasons.

By the way, this is obviously not set in stone. These choices are based off stats and typing ONLY, since we don't know the movepools yet. But come on... 145 base speed? Really?

I just like the fact it's strengths are in its special attack, this time round the Pseudo-legendary gets some different roles besides Dancing and Outraging, for once. I might just use it as an all round Special Attacker, no special movesets or combinations, just hammering away with Beams and such.

And since it's Dark...Nasty Plot is coming and it's going to hurt.

There wern't many (non-legendary) mons with 100 base speed were there? Should shake things up.

yep only 2 so far, and like 25 with over 100, no longer the magic number?

And since it's Dark...Nasty Plot is coming and it's going to hurt.
I wouldn't be so sure. Darkrai didn't have Nasty Plot before Platinum. Heck, in Diamond/Pearl Smogon wanted to test it in OU, but when GameFreak gave it Nasty Plot in Platinum... idea of testing it was crushed really fast.

There wern't many (non-legendary) mons with 100 base speed were there? Should shake things up.

yep only 2 so far, and like 25 with over 100, no longer the magic number?
That one Ninjabug stole all the Speed, lol. It's the fastest thing in the game aside from Deoxys and Ninjask. I'm thinking about running a Specs set with U-turn for scouting... you guys know what I'm talking about right?

Are there any pokemon that look like they instantly qualify for the lower tiers, just by their BSTs?
The Pokemon look really strong, but some of the NFEs are bound to be useful in lower tiers. Judging by extreme stats of some of the fully-evolved Pokemon, we could be getting a few more NFEs in the same league as Haunter, Hippopotas, Magneton and Chansey.

It's worth mentioning that there's a hold Item that boosts the stats of unevolved Pokemon too. We could even have a scenario where NFEs get into OU.

I can think of at least one and it happens to be one of my favorites. That is Gear. It has good stats, but not amazing stats and with literally no useful ability in singles to give it an advantage over other steel types, unless it gets an absolutely incredible movepool it will be outclassed by nearly every other steel type. On another subject, even in doubles and triple, due to species clause the only pokemon it can give or receive a boost from are plusle, Minun and it's own NFE forms. That doesn't look too promising.

:/ wow people sure have alot of critical judgments, considering the movepools haven't even been revealed yet. That's where a pokemon's worth is determined.

Still, I am surprised at how "focused" some of the BST's are.

Emonga's BST is better than I have hoped, 75/75 offenses aren't the best, but they're usable. It's defenses are horrid, but 103 speed :3 Hopefully the speed type gyro ball will be good.

I think this generation was pandering to us older players who've been with the series longer. Cause seriously, this generation is full of badass Pokémon with great stats and typing.

OU is going to be shaken up ridiculously this gen.

And Ubers will continue to be my favourite tier.

Black and White have officially been released!

*pops champagne*

It is past midnight in Japan already.

Anyone who pre-ordered may give us simple details on the movesets, and some gameplay info. Exclusive pokemon would also be useful.

New mechanics in Single Battling other than new moves and abilities have yet to be discovered in Generation 5.

Around tomorrow the Pokedex with Base stats will be completed, the moveset in at most a week. Other information like Gym leaders and walkthrough probably will be fast, although translation may take a bit of time.

We will probably start Gen 5 competitive battling after the English version comes out in Spring 2011.

Let us Rejoice.

I have two questions.

1.I keep checking the new pokemon page in serebii, but i don't see this Rotom everyone is talking about.I also don't see it in the Black/White page..Where is the information about the new Rotoms?

2.Are there evolutions of older Pokemon?Because mamanbou looks exactly like Luvdisc...

Also, in my opinion, Sazando looks way more fearsome than Ononoku.It has higher speed(GF probably did this in purpose) and could serve many more purposes than Ononoku.

It would be harder facing something with 105/125 than something with 147/60,specially if it doesn't learn a physical fire move.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)