CAP 11 CAP 11 - Part 6a - Ability Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is everyone soooo focused on electricity. Togekiss has rock and ice weaknesses too. Maybe you could add a ground pokemon to your team and instead develop CAP11's ability to take out rock and ice.

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If we give it an electric immunity, it still has no way of getting through the #1 Gyarados check: Vaporeon. Therefore, I think Rising Dusk is right, and it is extremely important to give CAP11 a resistance or immunity to Electric somehow. Vaporeon doesn't care that you get a speed boost when you swittch it, it will still Wish + Protect on you. This also give you more of a reason to use Togekiss, because Togekiss handles Vaporeon.

edit: @Ss, Ground is weak to ice. We are focused on electricity because most electric type Pokemon pose a serious threat to this duo.

I don't like Volt Absorb, or Motor Drive. With these we are "giving CAP the best tools possible" and failing the concept. He will wind up a better Gyarados pair, because gyarados doesn't need to worry about strong Fire type moves. We'll end up making a pokemon that good with just about every Electric weak pokemon, to the point were Togekiss will be outclassed... again. Definitely not the point.

Limber. Limber. Limber.

Togekiss hates being paralyzed like the plague.

I also think Guts is a good ability for this mon. The opposing team will be scared to paralyze 'Kiss, in fear of a Rampaging CAP11.

Intimidate would have been a lot more appealing to me had there been a halfway physical stat submission, however, it's still a great asset.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't like Volt Absorb, or Motor Drive. With these we are "giving CAP the best tools possible" and failing the concept. He will wind up a better Gyarados pair, because gyarados doesn't need to worry about strong Fire type moves. We'll end up making a pokemon that good with just about every Electric weak pokemon, to the point were Togekiss will be outclassed... again. Definitely not the point.

Limber. Limber. Limber.

Togekiss hates being paralyzed like the plague.

I also think Guts is a good ability for this mon. The opposing team will be scared to paralyze 'Kiss, in fear of a Rampaging CAP11.

Intimidate would have been a lot more appealing to me had there been a halfway physical stat submission, however, it's still a great asset. I know custom abilities are generally off the table but I believe a Special Intimidate would be an asset to this pokemon.
Other than Blissey, what is paralyzing Togekiss? Literally none of Togekiss' counters attempt paralysis at all. Rotom-a won't. Zapdos won't. Jolteon won't. Dragonite usually won't. These WILL try to kill Togekiss with STAB Electric moves, and if we have no way to deal with those, this Pokemon will have virtually no correlation with Togekiss at all. None whatsoever. Zero. Suppose for the sake of argument that Gyarados benefits a lot and Togekiss only moderately from CAP11 in usage. This would still be an improvement. If CAP11 has no answer for any of Zapdos, Rotom-a, Jolteon or Dragonite, Togekiss usage may be utterly unaffected by the presence of CAP11. This would constitute total failure of the concept, in my opinion. Realistically, as Rising_Dusk noted, CAP11 does not help Gyarados with its counters as much as one might think; it is setup bait for Suicune, probably can't beat Vaporeon, and depending on which stat spread wins may or may not be able to deal with Starmie.

The purpose of CAP 11 is to essentially counter/cripple Togekiss's main threats. And many of those threats have similarities. The first (and more obvious one) is that they use status inducing moves like thunderwave and toxic, so an ability like Guts would make sense on CAP 11. However, certain threats would be difficult to counter by just absorbing status and switching in. Pokemon like Zapdos and Blissy will be difficult to beat with moves like softboiled and roost. And ability that mimics Heal Block would help to counter pokemon like that.

Just an FYI, when I use Togekiss, Rotom-A ALWAYS comes out, but we are faster and a Dark STAB for CAP11, he's no problem with or without and ability. Other than that, it's often Starmie (usually doesn't work as NP Air Slashes murder it). Overall, massive Electric moves aren't Togekiss' biggest problem. Her biggest problem with sweeping is from NOT having everyone paralyzed. Her biggest problem defensively is much of the same since she can Roost on paralyzed foes to shed weaknesses.

We don't need an Electric absorbing ability, though Ground typing would have been nice. Hell, I'd love an ability that lets CAP11 paralyze things on the switch but that'll never happen.

I thought I would be all the way for Limber, but now that I think about it (not to mention reading RD's post) I have to say that I'm torn between Limber and an Electric Immunity...

Right now, the two abilities I'm leaning towards are Trace and Volt Absorb / Motor Drive.

Trace really appeals to me as CAP11's primary ability. With Trace, CAP11 can freely switch into Electivire and Jolteon, two major problems for Togekiss, and gain Speed / heal a substantial amount of health. If Blissey tries to force out Togekiss with status, CAP11 can absorb status for not only Togekiss, but also the entire team. Then, CAP11 can threaten Blissey with decently-powered physical STAB Fighting-type attacks, and switch out to heal status later on. Additionally, it's worth noting that there's no solid user of Trace in today's metagame. The closest we have is Porygon2, who isn't really up to snuff in OU. CAP11 could easily fill that void. Admittedly, Trace doesn't help deal with threats like Zapdos, but we don't want CAP11 (or the combination of CAP11 and Togekiss) to be disproportionately powerful.

Volt Absorb / Motor Drive is an option that directly solves Togekiss's weakness to Electric-type moves. However, I have two main qualms with the aforementioned abilities: as a Dark/Fighting type, CAP11 definitely doesn't fit the bill for an Electric-themed ability. If we go with this option, a custom ability is preferable, for this reason. Secondly, this ability may grant too much power to our duo. Again, we don't want to make CAP11 so powerful in conjunction with Togekiss that it becomes broken. I also can't help but feeling that an Electric immunity would make CAP11 a better partner for Gyarados rather than Togekiss - especially because Gyarados is so much more popular. Remember, this concept was designed for a "good-but-not-great" Pokemon, like Togekiss. However, granting that sort of power to Gyarados, a top-notch OU Pokemon, could lead to other problems that we don't want to deal with. CAP11 might not be as much of a "Perfect Mate" to Gyarados, but it would still fare quite well with it.

ok i was gonna not post on this but i thought hell my opinion should be heard...
well first of all for all you people saying lets use Motor Drive/Volt Absorb i must scream to you....
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Unless you want to make the CAP broken and have it be the PERFECT mate for gyarados then it's automatically NO
I must say i agree with Limber tho because Togekiss does NOT want to be paralyzed.
Also i must say Synchronize could be a very fitting ability to this pokemon because togekiss gets Heal Bell meaning that even if CAP11 comes in on a t-wave it wont be t-wave'd the whole game as togekiss can come in and heal bell therefore leaving CAP11 unharmed and the pokemon who t-waved CAP11 crippled :)
Technician is not a bad idea, but CAP11 does get tremendous speed 105 at least... Though having Mach Punch, Vacuum Wave, or better yet Pursuit to catch pokemon will be greatly boosted by Technician, also i'm scared that CAP11 may not be able to handle some Bullet Punch's from Scizor and therefore i must say you could make a fire priority move to kill scizor.... then again thats just a suggestion.
Trace is an ability that can be worth wild, who doesn't want to come in on heatrans Fire Blast and get the Flash Fire boost, or better yet, you say you're all scared of Jolteon? Well Trace allows CAP11 to take Jolteon's T-Bolt and Electivire's Thunderpunch ;) Just think of the possibilities, You could have ANY ability, switch in on something like Scizor and take its Technician, or switch in on Blissey and have its Natural Cure and take T-wave, or better yet score Serene Grace off Jirachi and Dark Pulse will Flinch almost anything.
To be completely honest, if i HAD to choose 2 Abilities for CAP11 i must say Trace and Sychronize would be my choice for the facts stated above, although Limber seems great,think of the fact that Togekiss gets Heal Bell, so why worry about T-wave and rather give the foe its own T-wave back at it with Synchronize and Trace would allow you to just about STOP Jolteon by Tracing its Volt Absorb. So there's my opinion hope you read it :)

Let me quote Rising_Dusk from an earlier discussion thread, where he shows us indirectly why CAP 11 does NOT need an electric immunity

Rising_Dusk said:
Offensive cores can have intermediate pivots. Many cores are actually composed of more than 2 Pokemon for just this reason. For instance, you can pivot to Magnezone on an Rock-type attack aimed at Salamence, then immediately switch to Gengar on the next Ground-type attack. From here, your Gengar has gotten in for free and will threaten whatever is attacking. This is how lots of offensive cores work, and keeping that in mind is critical. This emphasizes that we do not need perfect type coverage between Togekiss and CAP11. (Nor could we get it outside of a Water/Ground CAP with only a Grass-type weakness, as Togekiss has crap for a defensive typing) This also directly relates to how fundamentally wrong you are in your post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Venetor
The key to a Perfect Mate tag-team is that both switch out onto hits that the other can't take and then scare or defeat the partner's problems.

No, that is not the key to a Perfect Mate. The sooner you rid yourself of that illusion, the sooner you might actually contribute to this CAP instead of whatever you might consider your whining and complaining to be.
CAP 11 already has a fighting weakness, and Togekiss can't switch into strong fighting attacks. The Togekiss/CAP 11 duo will need an intermediate pivot as it stands. Someone who can switch in on strong electric attacks is just a necessary pivot. The duo will not fail without an electric immunity. For example, Rotom-A switches in on Togekiss. You switch to Celebi on the thunderbolt, then CAP 11 on the shadow ball. That is how lots of offensive cores work, and keeping that in mind is critical. The same principal applies with other strong non-choiced electric attackers; Pokemon like Celebi and Rotom-A resist electric attacks and draw ghost and dark attacks for CAP 11 to switch in on. Having a simple pivot pokemon is already essential to the duo, and an ability like Volt Absorb or Motor Drive allows CAP 11 to function too well with other electric-weak pokemon.

Motor Drive sounds the best. The need for resistance or immunity to Electric attacks is quite important. Even though Togekiss can OHKO both Rotom-A and Zapdos with +2 Life Orb Fire Blast, they are still some of the more common answers. Scarftar, Jolteon, and Blissey are also common answers. It naturally can take on Scarftar, so essentially we are looking at Blissey, Jolteon, Zapdos, and Rotom-A, which all commonly carry electric attacks. If we are worried about Blissey's Toxic then maybe Immunity or Guts would be a good secondary ability?

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
How is CAP11 a perfect mate for Gyarados? You can't just say that without justification. It can absorb Tbolt woooo, but what the hell can it do against hard Gyarados counters like Vaporeon and Suicune? Nothing. Absolutely zip. Vaporeon laughs at you with 130/95 defenses and Suicune with 100/115. You cant even say boosting moves, because both have access to Roar, which they commonly use. They don't run speed usually anyways so your +1 speed means nothing. How will this be broken?

I really don't see any merit in a status absorbing ability, as many great combos can't do that and they are still very successful. Take the Fire/Water/Grass core. Out of this core, the fire is always vunerable to status, as well as water unless it is Rest Talk Suicune. The Grass usually has natural cure but thats 1/3 resistant to status. What is Shed Skin going to do when Jolteon comes in and demolishes you with Thunderbolt? What does Natural Cure do when Rotom Discharges and paralysis you so you have to switch to Togekiss? What the is Limber going to accomplish when you switch into Blissey and get Toxiced? What does Immunity do when Zapdos Thunderbolts you? Why is Guts (Fuzznip already rejected custom abilities) even being suggested for a special sweeper. Out of these 4 senarios, 3/4 will be solved by having an Electric immunity ability. I implore you to see the disadvantages of "Limber" sure it prevents paralysis, but so does Volt Absorb/ Motor Drive, bar Jirachi with Body Slam, which can be seen coming from a mile away.

How is CAP11 a perfect mate for Gyarados? You can't just say that without justification. It can absorb Tbolt woooo, but what the hell can it do against hard Gyarados counters like Vaporeon and Suicune? Nothing. Absolutely zip. Vaporeon laughs at you with 130/95 defenses and Suicune with 100/115. You cant even say boosting moves, because both have access to Roar, which they commonly use. They don't run speed usually anyways so your +1 speed means nothing. How will this be broken?

I really don't se any merit in a status absorbing ability, as many great combos can't do that and they are still very successful. Take the Fire/Water/Grass core. Out of this core, the fire is always vunerable to status, as well as water unless it is Rest Talk Suicune. The Grass usually has natural cure but thats 1/3 resistant to status. What is Shed Skin going to do when Jolteon comes in and demolishes you with Thunderbolt? What does Natural Cure do when Rotom Discharges and paralysis you so you have to switch to Togekiss? What the is Limber going to accomplish when you switch into Blissey and get Toxiced? What does Immunity do when Zapdos Thunderbolts you? Out of these 4 senarios, 3/4 will be solved by having an Electric immunity ability. I implore you to see the disadvantages of "Limber" sure it prevents paralysis, but so does Volt Absorb/ Motor Drive, bar Jirachi with Body Slam, which can be seen coming from a mile away.
Well CAP11 WILL have high SPA therefore if it runs HP Electric/Grass it wont have too much of a problem with Cune and Vappy seeing as how Bulky it might be it could take a surf or 2... just saying.
Edit: And seeing as its Dark type im sure it will get Taunt to shut down Roar/Calm Mind
Also about all those scenarios are taken care of if CAP11 has Trace or Synchronize. Trace being used on Jolteon and Blissey and Synchronize on Blissey and Rotom, Zapdos could cause trouble to switch in on but with the stats i saw im sure CAP11 will take at least 1 T-Bolt switching into Zapdos.

firecape

This is the end...
HP Grass with the current SpA (105) that is winning in the polls does 33.9% - 40.2% to 188/0 Vaporeon and 31.7% - 37.6% to 252/0 Suicune (This is all assuming Modest Nature too). Taunt is a bad arguement because Suicune does 34.9% - 41.4% with Surf, and Vaporeon 41.4% - 48.9%. This means if CAP11 does survive, it will have almost no health. It is also a poor arguement to say it can use HP ___ to counter something for something else, because anything can use Hidden Power.

HP Grass with the current SpA (105) that is winning in the polls does 33.9% - 40.2% to 188/0 Vaporeon and 31.7% - 37.6% to 252/0 Suicune (This is all assuming Modest Nature too). Taunt is a bad arguement because Suicune does 34.9% - 41.4% with Surf, and Vaporeon 41.4% - 48.9%. This means if CAP11 does survive, it will have almost no health. It is also a poor arguement to say it can use HP ___ to counter something for something else, because anything can use Hidden Power.
Did you take Life Orb into consideration? and i'm sure Suicune and Vaporeon would hate to be shut down by Taunt... I haven't checked on some of the moves CAP11 is getting but i'm sure if it gets Grass Knot or T-Bolt or something that effect it will surely shut down cune and vappy. Plus most teams dont run Vappy or Cune just to Counter Gyarados, remember Bulky Gyarados has taunt too and can outspeed cune and Vappy especially if they're going to roar, and can just set up on them unless Cune or Vappy are carrying Hidden Power Electric or something which still MIGHT not KO gyarados, so saying Cune and Vappy are good counters to Gyarados and this new CAP is not really true at all...
Edit: ALSO if CAP11 does get Trace Vappy will NOT be able to hit it with Surf.
I also sent Fuzznip a PM on this whole situation where everyone can be pleased about the ability and it wont break the metagame...Tho it may be worse than Volt Absorb/Motor Drive im not sure but it seems to be not as effective as Volt Absorb/Motor Drive but also not as useless as Lightning Rod... The only problem with Volt Absorb/Motor Drive is the boost i'm sure you dont want something as bulky as CAP11 to have Volt Absorb or to Outpace EVERY non-scarfed pokemon in the metagame with Motor Drive but a boost of some sort could be necessary.

firecape

This is the end...
Gasoline, I think you misunderstand what Lightning Rod does, it simply makes the Pokemon get hit by all electric attacks instead of the partner in double battles. I do agree, however, that a middle ground on an ability for immunity to Electric attacks is a good idea, but it won't happen as the TL has already demonstrated. Therefore, in my opinion, we should choose Motor Drive / Volt Absorb.

ahh i have never really seen lightning rod in action so my mistake, but still i find Volt Absorb/Motor Drive a bit too over the top... Trace could be nice to stop Jolteon and i'm sure CAP11 will be bulky enough to take a discharge or t-bolt from other pokemon... or we could just make an ability where CAP11 is immune to electric attacks and gets no boost from it...

LouisCyphre

heralds disaster.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
After a bit of consideration, Volt Absorb is probably the best option over Motor Drive, I'd say. It nulls the oh-so-dangerous STAB electric attacks (Ice attacks generally lack STAB in OU, and CAP11 resists Rock) and Thunder Wave that everyone is so concerned over, lets Togekiss dispose of Wish if she so chooses (freeing up another moveslot on a likely NastyPass-dominated moveset), and you don't end up outspeeding everything that lacks a Scarf.

Gasoline, I don't like that ability and I'll walk you through why. An ability that nulls Electric but induces a Ground weakness
would very well go a long way to binding CAP11 to 'Kiss, at first glance. But, with the generally neglect to physical bulk, weakness to Earthquake is a death sentance for CAP11. In addition almost all Earthquake users in OU use Stone Edge along with it, and will most certainly use on a predicted Togekiss switch. As you very well know, just about every Stone Edge in the tier will rip Togekiss to shreds.

So, a neat idea that ultimately doesn't achieve anything.

Why have people suddenly ignored my stance on custom abilities? I said not to suggest any because this CAP seriously doesn't need one; we have a handful of useful abilities to choose from. If you think you have the absolute best custom ability imaginable that just has to be considered, pm me your idea before posting so I can approve of it. If I continue to see these custom abilities, your post will be edited or even deleted, so please don't do it.

With that out of the way, I'd like to point out my favourite ability so far: Trace. It's a very useful ability and helps with many of Togekiss's problems. You can Trace Jolteon's Volt Absorb and Electivire's Motor Drive when they use their respective Electric STAB, and these two Pokemon are what we need to address effectively. CAP 11 won't be completely neutered by Blissey's Thunder Wave or Toxic aimed at Togekiss, thanks to Natural Cure. You can steal Jirachi's Serene Grace ability and make Dark Pulse have a 40% flinch rate to add onto the flinch hax strategy. There's also a lot of other useful things Trace does, like absorbing Heatran's Fire Blast which could potentially 2HKO the most specially defensive Togekiss. However, there are some negative things that Trace comes with, such as doing nothing useful against Zapdos and Rotom-A, which is pretty disappointing.

All I have to say for now. Please keep the discussion healthy because I hate sick discussions; it's not good for me nor anyone else. Thanks a lot!

I support Limber because it blocks paralysis. Paralysis is a way to mimic ground's electric immunity (in the Thunder Wave sense) without the harmful ice weakness. It also blocks Body Slam/Glare's Paralysis.

Volt Absorb/Motor Drive would do this and more but I think that it would make CAP 11 overpowered and also Gyarados' best friend.

Trace is a very good idea but not all paralysis users have abilitys that help against paralysis (thats the way your making it sound).

I'm in favor of:
1.) Limber
2.) Trace
3.) Volt Absorb
4.) Motor Drive

One thing we need to decide as quickly as possible is, is Motor Drive acceptable?
-Pro's: - Absorbs the SE Thunderbolts and Thunderwave's Togekiss draws
-Isn't incredibly broken on this CAP since it is already pretty fast. Will still be useful versus Scarfers particularly.
-Is BPassable (I think!) meaning that with Baton Pass the CAP can have great synergy with Togekiss (pretty much the only viable pokemon to pass Nasty Plot). One speed boost can be enough for Togekiss to sweep easily (although Zapdos and Rotom still wall the usual sets, the Cap is hopefully capable of punishing these).

Con's - Do you know how common Thunderbolt is? This thing would be a great partner to pretty much every water in the game, especially Gyarados.

My personal opinion is that Motor Drive would exceed the concept by a little too much.
Other abilities I'm liking are Trace, Limber, and Quick Feet, but especially Quick Feet.

I will list the following abilities that is definitely helpful in Togekiss' sake.

Limber is one of the best choices as it absorb Thunderwave and eliminate the risk of Thunderbolts and Body Slam paralysis hax. CAP11 is not gonna mind Burn, only Toxic

Quick Feet is definitely a most as it increases its speed even if it is paralysis. It will also absorb Toxic aimed at Togekiss.

Marvel Scale: I agree with Mektar, it deserves attention, as Togekiss' counters is mainly special attack and status abusers, Marvel Scale covers both of them.

Synchronize is an awesome choice too as it will discourage and backfire any status ailment.

Natural Cure is also nice as it allows CAP11 to absorb status and have means to heal it.

Technician can be awesome as secondary ability that CAP11 can use if not teamed with Togekiss, It will boost many of CAP11 STAB's like Mach Punch, Vacuum Wave, Pursuit, Drain Punch and Faint Attack(the strongest Dark physical with Technician boost)

Guts is also awesome as it can boost from the statuses it absorbs and give it mixed sweeping capabilities.

Trace: since I don't want to take the credits, look at Fuzznip's post above.

I have sent Fuzznip two new abilities which is waiting to be confirmed as we speak. I'll send my two proposed abilities as soon as the new abilities is accepted or not.

I propose Trace / Skill Link

As far as I can see so far CAP 11 will have the ability to set itself up to beat all the major Electric threats bar Zapdos if it is carrying Trace. It can counter Electivire easily by taking little from Ice Punch/HP Ice and would absorb the elctric attacks by Tracing. Same thing with Jolteon. Togekiss can always Baton pass turn 1 as well should you want to get CAP11 in on the Togekiss counter early without having to play the prediction game that will happen if you see Togekiss on CAP after CAP11 is finished.

CAP 11 already has type advantage over most of Kiss' other counters and that is why Skill Link would go well with Trace. Should CAP11 get Arm Thrust and one of Icicle Spear or Rock Blast. Then it would also have an answer to Sub Roost Zapdos who might be thinking they can set up on CAP11/Kiss combo. It also provides an answer to the fast subers that plague Togekiss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)