Defensive Threats (Just how offensive will the metagame be?)

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Where'd you find that? I'm not trying to be rude, I just want to know which site has this information. All I've heard is rumors that it hits ground types.
Various people on IRC have tested it in-game and found it to be false. It's even scattered around the forums that it's false.

I'm actually very excited for stall, I think in this generation stall is going to be a lot more about covering specific Pokemon and protecting your precious hazards, instead of just SkarmBliss, Rotom, and three Pokemon to cover other stuff. Stall is finally going to have a chance to be innovative as people device ways to keep up their hazards and trap potential threats. Stall is almost going to be offensive and will no longer be the stagnant, prediction-less style people assume it was before (it always required prediction people!). It will be a very active competition to lay down, keep up, and abuse hazards while playing around and trapping threats.

Of course this is all based on speculation, but nonetheless sounds interesting.

Hey everyone, thanks for the support on my list. I'd like to update it according to the egg moves and TMs but... I can't seem to find those so if someone could link me here that'd be good. Also, figuring out defensive combos would be good too. I'll research and post some findings when I get back.

What's so terrible about rankurusu? I'm totally stoked for this poke. 110/85/75 defenses, magic guard, trick, recover, screens, confuse ray, 125 base Sp.A, paired with the new psychic move that hits physically but uses your Sp.A...

Edit: Hadn't even shecked the his tms. Tm's of note; calm mind, toxic, protect, thunder, shadow ball, psychic, facade, focus blast, energy ball, explosion, twave, gyro ball, psych up, rock slide, grass knot, subsitute, flash cannon, trick room.
That's what I've been saying... :P

Name: Rankurusu
Type: Psychic
Ability: Magic Guard or Regeneration
Base Stats: 110 HP, 75 Defense, 125 Special Attack, 85 Special Defense, 30 Speed
Notable Moves: Calm Mind, Recover, Pain Split, Reflect, Light Screen, Toxic, Thunder Wave, Trick, Trick Room, Psycho Shock, Focus Blast, Shadow Ball, Grass Knot
Notes: Magic Guard is an incredible ability that makes Rankurusu immune to entry hazards, status (besides sleep), weather, and so on. He may be able to abuse Flame Orb with Trick with Magic Guard--if Flame Orb is even available in this generation. While Magic Guard is difficult to pass up, Regeneration is an interesting alternative that heals 1/3 health whenever the the user switches out. Rankurusu has a lot of great support options, but might also make a potent bulky attacker, with Calm Mind, Recover, and Psycho Shock at his disposal.

Name: Musharna
Ability: Synchronize
Base Stats: 116 HP, 85 Defense, 107 Special Attack, 95 Special Defense, 29 Speed
Notable Moves: Rest, Sleep Talk, Moonlight, Calm Mind, Reflect, Light Screen, Baton Pass, Substitute, Barrier, Toxic, Thunder Wave, Yawn, Hypnosis, Trick Room, Psycho Shock, Shadow Ball, Charge Beam
Notes: Sleep Talk is no longer a TM in Black/White--Musharna is one of the only new pokemon lucky enough to learn Sleep Talk as an egg move and have the bulk to make use of it effectively. Synchronize, along with Rest/Sleep Talk, will make Musharna a good status absorber. Rest/Sleep Talk/Calm Mind or Charge Beam might be a good place to start. He also learns Baton Pass, and can pass Calm Mind and 101+ Substitutes.

Name: Barujina
Type: Dark/Flying
Ability: Dustproof
Base Stats: 110 HP, 105 Defense, 95 Special Defense, 80 Speed
Notable Moves: Roost, Knock Off, Whirlwind, Toxic, Taunt, Mean Look, Nasty Plot, Air Slash, Dark Pulse
Notes: His attack stats and move pool are lacking, but Barujina has good typing and defenses all around. Roost/Whirl Wind/Knock Off/Taunt or something could imitate Skarmory, but I'm not sure if there would be any point in using Barujina over him. He's more specially defensive, but with a lack of good support moves, no steel typing, and pitiful offensive stats, he might just be inferior.

Note: still adding more.

I am glad Stall is not Game Freaks' priority,it seems.

It would be better and much more fun if the metagame had no viable way to stall, games would be faster and we could get on with our lives.

No offense to anyone, but stall is really lame..That's why they don't really show stalling in the anime.
Pun intended? LOL

Can't you just transfer 4th Gen Pokemon holding items like LO/CB to BW?

I am glad Stall is not Game Freaks' priority,it seems.

It would be better and much more fun if the metagame had no viable way to stall, games would be faster and we could get on with our lives.

No offense to anyone,but stall is really lame..That's why they don't really show stalling in the anime.
Um... No stall in the anime? Metapod! Harden!

Also, you shoulld'nt count stall out yet. There are lots of viable defensive pokemon, such as the grass/steel pokemon. Wait until the playtesting to see if stall is viable.

If Stall becomes even mildly threatening, it's not too much trouble to just give a team member Rapid Spin and Aiming Mark, guaranteeing an entry-hazard free environment whenever you feel like it. No hazards means your stall team is just a bunch of fat people.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Rapid Spin and Aiming Mark would effectively make one offensive pokemon useless, severely cutting down its damage output and not giving it the Leftovers health boost. Is that a good trade-off when that one pokemon could cover your team's weaknesses or save the match?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)