Dragon Types in UU

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As we move to the new B/W UU tier, you can notice a certain lacking of good Steel types (with the exception of Empoleon, Cobalion and a few others). So, what does that mean? Dragon-types dominate! While yes, most of the better Dragon-types are still up in OU, what Dragons we have left are still enough obliterate any defenses that UU will futilely attempt to put up.

Firstly, let us name some viable Steel-types that may get in the way... temporarily =D.
EDIT: LOL forgot these, thanks aussieman000
- Registeel
- Empoleon
- Escavalier
- Bisharp
- Magneton
- Steelix
- Aggron
- Cobalion

UU available dragons:

Kyurem:

Type(s): Ice / Dragon
Base Stats: 125 HP / 130 Atk / 90 Def / 130 SpA / 90 SpD / 95 Spe
Ability: Pressure
Notable moves: Draco Meteor, Outrage, Ice Beam, Blizzard, Dragon Pulse, Focus Blast, Dragon Tail, Hone Claws, Reflect, Light Screen

Oh gosh, and I was convinced this thing is Uber material, too. What happened? Anyway, 130/130/95 is not fun to face, especially with a team of UUs, however epic they are now. Exceptionally bulky, it can pretty much survive any attack apart from your Outrage, or Draco Meteor, or something powerful like that. In return, it can pump attacks just as strong as Latios' from the special side and Outrages as strong as Garchomp's.

Notable sets:
- Choice
- Mixed
- Sub + 3 Attacks
- Stall
- Dual Screens

Kingdra:

Type(s): Water / Dragon
Base Stats: 75 HP / 95 Atk / 95 Def / 95 SpA / 95 SpD / 85 Spe
Ability: Swift Swim / Sniper / Damp
Notable moves: Dragon Dance, Outrage, Waterfall, Draco Meteor, Hydro Pump, Surf, Dragon Pulse

Another beastly dragon. Probably down in UU seeing how Ferrothorn completely sits its ass as king of OU and now that he can't abuse Drizzle any more. Now that he's out of the way, all you have to worry about it annoying Ferroseed, which fortunately isn't as annoying. With excellent Dual-STABs, access to Dragon Dance and decent bulk, Kingdra can easily set up and manhandle most of the UU metagame with incredible ease, even with weather against him.

Notable sets:
- ChestoRest
- Sub + DD
- Offensive DD
- DD RestTalk
- Choice Specs
- Rain Dance

Flygon:

Type(s): Ground / Dragon
Base Stats: 80 HP / 100 Atk / 80 Def / 80 SpA / 80 SpD / 100 Spe
Ability: Levitate
Notable moves: Outrage, Earthquake, Dragon Claw, U-turn, Stone Edge, Fire Blast, Draco Meteor, Roost, Hone Claws

With Garchomp being so epically annoying up in OU, there was no place for Flygon. However, with Garchomp and Latis out of the picture, Flygon is once again has the niche of a tier's fastest Dragon. While a Base 100 Attack isn't as powerful, Outrage is still quite fearsome, especially when backed by Life Orb or Choice Band. Being resistant to Stealth Rock and immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes, with access to Roost allows Flygon to stay around for a very, very long time.

Notable sets:
- Choice
- Physical Life Orb
- Mixed
- Staller
- Screech
- Hone Claws

Druddigon:

Type(s): Dragon
Base Stats: 77 HP / 120 Atk / 90 Def / 60 SpA / 90 SpD / 48 Spe
Ability: Rough Skin / Sheer Force / Mold Breaker (DW)
Notable moves: Outrage, Dragon Claw, Superpower, Earthquake, Sucker Punch, Fire Fang, Dragon Tail, Hone Claws

Druddigon has a great movepool, usable bulk and a great Attack stat (highest in UU aside from the broken piece of shit known as Kyurem). However, his low speed brings him down horribly. Still, it can still hit extremely hard with that base 120 Attack and access to Sucker Punch, while it can be quite dangerous under Trick Room.

Notable sets:
- Choice Band
- Life Orb

Altaria:

Type(s): Dragon / Flying
Base Stats: 75 HP / 70 Atk / 90 Def / 70 SpA / 105 SpD / 80 Spe
Ability: Natural Cure / Cloud Nine
Notable moves: Outrage, Earthquake, Dragon Claw, Draco Meteor, Dragon Pulse, Fire Blast, Roost, Cotton Guard, Heal Bell, Roar

Rounding out the fully evolved Dragons, we have Altaria. While its mediocre stats may not look like much, it has a huge catch in the form of Cloud Nine. Being able to eliminate weather and revenge-kill weather sweepers is quite big. With a Choice Scarf, it can outspeed every weather sweeper except Quiver Dance Lilligant, whom without Hidden Power Ice, can't really do anything to Altaria. It also has an excellent support movepool which allows it to either set up or help out the team.

Notable sets:
- Defensive Dragon Dance
- Choice
- Dragon Dance + Rest Talk
- Cotton Guard

So here are the fully evolved Dragons. There are also a few other pre-evolutions of our OU Dragons that can still be quite potent.

Fraxure:

Base Stats: 66 HP / 117 Atk / 70 Def / 40 SpA / 50 SpD / 67 Spe
Ability: Rivalry / Mold Breaker / Unnerve (DW)
Notable moves: Dragon Dance, Swords Dance, Taunt, Dual Chop, Outrage, Dragon Claw, Reversal

Unfortunately, Fraxure doesn't really have much in the movepool department, however, if you can get rid of your Steel-types, Fraxure can easily Dragon Dance up and sweep. With access to Taunt, he can easily make a stall team cry. He is a bit on the slow side, so Swords Dance isn't that wise.

Notable sets:
- Dragon Dance

Shelgon:

Base Stats: 65 HP / 95 Atk / 100 Def / 60 SpA / 50 SpD / 50 Spe
Ability: Rock Head / Overcoat (DW)
Notable moves: Dragon Dance, Outrage, Dragon Claw, Wish, Roar, Brick Break, Fire Fang

With Eviolite attached, Shelgon can become quite the physical tank. With access to moves like Wish and Roar, Shelgon can easily support the team. It can also serve as a bulky sweeper, although his speed is a bit lacking.

Notable sets:
- Dragon Dance
- Physically defensive

Dragonair:

Base Stats: 61 HP / 84 Atk / 65 Def / 70 SpA / 70 SpD / 70 Spe
Ability: Shed Skin / Marvel Scale (DW)
Notable moves: Dragon Dance, Outrage, Waterfall, Extremespeed, Aqua Tail, Rest

Dragonair has two fantastic abilities, pity her stats are subpar. Still, she's the only Dragon in the tier that has a reliable priority attack (Sucker Punch isn't what I call reliable). With Eviolite, Dragonair may be able to abuse Shed Skin or Marvel Scale, but don't be too hopeful.

Notable sets:
- Dragon Dance

So, basically, the catch is to pair some of these up with a Steel-killer (Dugtrio is fantastic), and you'll be ready to go!

So much for a list of viabe steels :p Here's one to start you off:

- Registeel
- Empoleon
- Escavalier
- Bisharp
- Magneton
- Steelix
- Aggron

Also, uhh... is Dragonair really worth mentioning? 84 Atk is going to take a couple boosts to start hurting anything, and even with Evolite and Marvel Scale Dragonair doesn't have the bulk to pull it off. Extremespeed isn't really worth the trouble, UU is full of much better priority users this gen - there's at least half a dozen powerful priority users among the top 50 pokes, and quite possibly a few more below that.

Kyurem doesn't mind Blizzard due to its neutrality and high bulk; I'm fairly sure Eviolite Shelgon can take one as well, although I could be wrong.

Would Double Edge be viable on Rock Head Shelgon? If I'm not screwing up my math, it does more than a neutral Dragon Claw without locking yourself into Outrage, but I'd understand if Wish and Roar are the best alongside DD/Outrage, with Wish for obvious healing and Roar for hopefully annoying users of Baton Pass or boosters in general.

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
Wait a second. How in the blazes did I miss Kingdra being UU? Rain Dance Go!

Actually, Glare abuse is considered Druddigon's best set. I don't remember the exact moveset but it was something like Glare / Dragon Claw / Sucker Punch / Superpower with Rough Skin as an ability.

How's Flygon faring in this metagame? It seems it could fill similar niche as Garchomp in OU, minus Swords Dance, plus immunity to hazards, Levitate and U-turn. (I'm curious because it's one of my all-time faves)

Really, I see Kingdra as a total beast. Essentially, Kingdra is a Salamence with better type and STAB unresisted coverage (except for Ferroseed). A simple set of Dragon Dance, Outrage, Waterfall, and Draco Meteor makes for a powerful sweeper. It's too bad that sun has to run rampant in UU, which makes its STAB less powerful.

Really, I see Kingdra as a total beast. Essentially, Kingdra is a Salamence with better type and STAB unresisted coverage (except for Ferroseed). A simple set of Dragon Dance, Outrage, Waterfall, and Draco Meteor makes for a powerful sweeper. It's too bad that sun has to run rampant in UU, which makes its STAB less powerful.
Empoleon also resists Water and Dragon.

In my experience Flygon is incredible in this meta. It's fast enough to outrun and OHKO most of the slower Chloropyhllers with Sun Boosted Fire Blast, strong enough to dent most of the steels in the meta with Outrage, obviously outruns and ko's all the other dragons in the tier and then you have STAB Earthquake and virtual immunity to hazards to top it all off. It has saved my ass many times, and I've only been palying a day.
Really, I'd use it even if it wasn't that good because it's my favourite pokemon, but it is genuinely excellent. Fast, strong enough to do damage and it also gets U-turn so you can revenge kill weakened stuff without getting trapped by the ever-present and horribly broken Wobbuffet.
Genuinely, it's amazing.

Yes, Flygon is a total baller in this meta. Surprisingly, Choice Band works well, doing some pretty massive damage. I use this set:

Flygon @ Choice Band, Adamant, 4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 speed

Outrage
U-turn
Fire Punch
Earthquake

Firstly, let us name some viable Steel-types that may get in the way... temporarily =D.
EDIT: LOL forgot these, thanks aussieman000
- Registeel
- Empoleon
- Escavalier
- Bisharp
- Magneton
- Steelix
- Aggron
Cobalion????

Rest Dragonair may have just gotten a huge upgrade in evolite. I can imagine a set similar to the swiftnite set.

SwiftAir@Evolite
Ability: Shed Skin
252 HP, 252 SpD
Nature: Careful
1. Dragon Tail
2. Rest
3. Thunder Wave
4. Substitute
Bio: Basically swiftnite however with a few key differences. While the lack of Multi Scale is a loss all it's own Rest brings your hp back to full and with Evolite and Shed Skin you may just annoy things more with SwiftAir than SwiftNite.

It's a work in progress but who knows, it might just work out.

It's a pity Kyurem has such low speed. If that stat were switched with its base 125 HP I'd guarantee that it would be permanently Uber. On another note, I think if Dragons start ruling UU, people are going to have to resort to Empoleon and Mamoswine to deal with them; there isn't actually that much that the dragons can't deal with. As long as they're paired with Magneton/Dugtrio, of course.

Hustle Zweilous packs a huge punch (Its attack can get higher than Haxorus'), but not learning Hone Claws or even Dragon Claw is a huge blow. Its outrage absolutely rapes the metagame though, and a scarf, wide lens or eviolite set could possibly work quite well in the metagame, especially with most of the best Steel and Fighting types firmly in OU.

I've been looking forward to trying out Eviolite Dragonair in UU for a while, but I think I'll wait out this testing period and see Kyurem's fate before doing it. Currently I'm having some success with Scarf Flygon. At the OP, you state that Druddigon has the highest attack in UU- I'm assuming you just meant of the UU dragons, but even that is not true. Kyurem's somewhat overlooked attack stat of 130 surpasses it. Druddigon's much more likely to be here to stay, though.

Would Double Edge be viable on Rock Head Shelgon? If I'm not screwing up my math, it does more than a neutral Dragon Claw without locking yourself into Outrage, but I'd understand if Wish and Roar are the best alongside DD/Outrage, with Wish for obvious healing and Roar for hopefully annoying users of Baton Pass or boosters in general.
Dragon Claw has equal power to Double Edge because of STAB.
80 x 1.5 = 120

I've been using scarfed Altaria to great effect on the ladder, seeing as there is an abundance of sun teams. She outspeeds all chlorophyll users and OHKO's them all with fire blast.

Off topic quickly, is the fire blast boosted or does cloud nine cancel the boost out?

And she also serves as a good revenge killer for weakened pokes as no one suspects her to be scarfed.

I've been using scarfed Altaria to great effect on the ladder, seeing as there is an abundance of sun teams. She outspeeds all chlorophyll users and OHKO's them all with fire blast.

Off topic quickly, is the fire blast boosted or does cloud nine cancel the boost out?

And she also serves as a good revenge killer for weakened pokes as no one suspects her to be scarfed.
Cloud Nine negates all effects of weather. It'd not get the boost.

One mustn't forget Zweilous. He was pretty beast in a TR team I made once. With Hustle, Outrage would do tremendous damage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)