Dragon Types in UU

yohoE

I'm jus Here for da memes r wateva dem shits called
May I suggest Eviolite Ferroseed for viable Steels? :O

May I suggest Eviolite Ferroseed for viable Steels? :O
As Thorhammer has noted, Ferroseed is outclassed by Deoxys-D, as Ferroseed has 50 Base Attack and completely loses to Taunt, whereas Deo-D has Night Shade/Seismic Toss, can Taunt as well, and has the reliable Recover. And, it can also hold Leftovers.

registeel

Why is registeel so under estimated? This thing is easily the best steel wall in the game. Good hp and crazy defenses on both sides. I just don't get it

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
It's not underestimated, it's just as good as it was last gen, it's just people aren't talking about it as much for some reason.

Flygon for bad asses.

Name: Surprise suckers.
Flygon @ Choice Specs.
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP.
Nature: Timid.
Ability: Levitate.
-Draco Meteor
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-U-turn

Flygon for bad asses.
I came across this recently even though I was surprised at the power of the spec's Draco Meteor it was basically set up fodder as it had to switch out on my switch in..

Now I know this isn't always the case (he does have three other moves) but I still have to agree with the Life Orb mixed set as more viable. Locking yourself into stat lowering moves isn't always the greatest thing.

I am skeptical of Altaria with a scarf... Even with a modest nature and 252 sp att evs, with access to high base power moves... can it really ohko noteable stuff with it's dreadful sp att stat?

BurningMan

fueled by beer
I am skeptical of Altaria with a scarf... Even with a modest nature and 252 sp att evs, with access to high base power moves... can it really ohko noteable stuff with it's dreadful sp att stat?
well it can KO the frailer Sun sweepers with FB and Draco Meteor hurts too (not much, but its still is a 140 BP Stab) and this is its job and nothing else. If you already managed to kill Vulpix, Hippo or Aboma it can also use Rain dance to fuck up weather teams completly, wich is useful since a lot people don't expect that.
But your right its really, really weak and outside of countering weather sweepers there is no reason to use Altaria for now.

Why is registeel so under estimated? This thing is easily the best steel wall in the game. Good hp and crazy defenses on both sides. I just don't get it
Because it can't threaten anything, it just sits there walling and being even more useless than Chansey but without reliable recovery. It hits for pittance with even its best attacks and as mentioned fire dominates this metagame.

SwiftAir@Evolite
Ability: Shed Skin
252 HP, 252 SpD
Nature: Careful
1. Dragon Tail
2. Rest
3. Thunder Wave
4. Substitute
Bio: Basically swiftnite however with a few key differences. While the lack of Multi Scale is a loss all it's own Rest brings your hp back to full and with Evolite and Shed Skin you may just annoy things more with SwiftAir than SwiftNite.
I tried this out already and it simply does not work, biggest problem being that Dragon Tail from Dragonair does absolutely pittance damage compared to Dragonites. Its goal may be to shuffle but at least Dragonite does it while threatening with some fairly powerful Dragon Tails.

Sub is doing absolutely nothing here, as you'd be resting off any status/damage and Taunt/Encore will screw you over either way. In the long run its simply too weak to do much besides slightly annoy an opponent.

If anything even Seviper manages to pull this kind of set off better thanks to having a good boosting move in Coil and access to Shed Skin Rest as well.

Zweilous is really missing from the list of UU Dragon-types. Hustle may make its attacks inaccurate, but Zweilous seriously does pack a punch with STAB Crunch and Outrage.

Here's a moveset I thought up.

Name: Sweeper
Move 1: Outrage
Move 2: Crunch
Move 3: Fire Fang
Move 4: Ice Fang
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Items: Choice Band/Choice Scarf/Life Orb/Wide Lens
Nature: Adamant/Brave

Um... with Hustle, 85 base att is like, what, 155 or something? I remember that it's slightly higher than Rayquaza's.

You also probably want a 252 HP / 252 Att spread unless you Scarf it, which is probably not worth it anyway. Jolly 252 Spe Scarfed Zweilous outspeeds positive natured base 110s.
But I think a CB or Eviolite set with 252 HP 252 Att 4 Def spread might be better (maybe more speed depending on what you want to outspeed). But it doesn't get much coverage other than the elemental fangs, which are about as powerful as the elemental punches from Gallade.

It's sort of coming off a pathetic base 85 attack. Not really working, even with hustle.
252EV +Atk nature Zweilous hits 442 attack with Hustle, for comparison postive natured base 150s reach 438. It's almost usable on a TR team as with 0 IV and a Brave nature it'll reach a speed stat of 108.

The set I run under TR:
Zweilous @ Wide Lens/Choice Band
Hustle
Brave, 0 Speed IV
252HP/252Atk/4Def
Outrage
Crunch
Fire Fang
Thunder Fang

Wide Lens improves the 80% accuray to 88%, which isn't quite as bad. Choice Band is of course usable if sheer power is worth more to you than the accuracy boost. Outrage and Crunch for STAB. Fire Fang hits Steels who otherwise wall you, and Thunder Fang because it literally has nothing better for its last moveslot (Head Smash is illegal with all the fangs, but even with Wide Lens it only gets 70% accuracy after Hustle so it'd be an iffy choice anyway) Ice Fang isn't really necessary since STAB Outrage hits everything in UU harder than Ice Fang would, with the exception of Torterra, Gligar, Jumpluff and Tropius, all of which I have never seen.

If only it had better coverage it would pose a huge threat, but as it stands, it's not that great.

breh

強いだね
that's a fun gimmick but not one I would use. The fact that it's pretty much dead if you miss is not pleasant.

Has anyone tried out mixed or special Kingdra? Draco Meteor hits hard and can get you some surprise kills but the both sets are completely walled by the pink blob known as Chansey =/

At least Kingdra can take choiced V-Creates all day with reasonable bulk and a quad resist. Also rain dance can be run on any set to mess up sun/hail teams and act as Agility for a few turns.

I would just like to say that Probopass should be included in the list of threatening Steels. It might not be super-offensive, but the FEAR straetgy version aside, it has a myriad of amazing support and status moves like Thunder Wave, Pain Split, Magic Coat, as well as a borderline acceptable special attack, mamoth defenses and access to Sturdy and Magnet Rise to survive Fighting/Ground moves. No Registeel, but it IS unique, versatile, and able to defeat Dragons not running Earthquake or at least force switches with relative ease and support its team while doing so.

What about FEARon? There doesn't seem to be much counters, and the only dragon to counter it is Fraxure(Druddigon is not released), Golurk, Vulpix, Abomasnow and the Cloud Nine pokes. This guy can take down unprepared teams.

breh

強いだね
@TM13:yeah, just every ghost and ground type; nothing much

Probopass is one those pokemon you wih was great but isn't. Kyurem hits it SE and it can't do much damage with a 70 BP STAB move.

Dunno. It missed Uber because it wasn't deemed broken enough, and it wasn't used enough in OU to stay there.

Kyurem is most likely getting out though given the crazy amount of anti-Kyurem sentiments around. 660 BST is the highest in UU(aside from Slaking and Regigigas, but honestly, there must be something wrong with you if you are using either), 130/130/95 offenses are just way too epic. Many stuff had flown around, saying that if his HP and Speed were swapped, he'd be uber.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
that's a fun gimmick but not one I would use. The fact that it's pretty much dead if you miss is not pleasant.
Well 72/70/70 isn't nearly that bad if you have full HP investment and since Dragon/Dark has quite a few resistances its definatelly worth giving it a shot if you factor in that its basically the strongest physical Dragon in UU as it reaches a staggering 663 atk just by slapping a Choice Band on it.

I actually think that a set like

Zweiolus@Choice Band
252HP/252 Atk/4 SDef
Nature:Adamant
Trait:Hustle
-Outrage
-Crunch
-Fire Fang
-Dragontail

Last slot goes to D-Tail, because no other attack is really worth it when you factor in that a 2x effective fang is still weaker than a neutral Outrage and getting some "free" damage on a switching in steel type is quite cool if you got entry hazards. Of course it is still horrible slow and its bulk is lacking, but if you manage to get it in on something like Chansey/Deo-D/Slowbro etc almost nothing can switch in Registeel gets 2HKOed by Fire Fang and Cobalion has a good chance of being OHKOed with SR and Spikes. And its Outrage OHKOs almost everything. It won't sweep teams but it could be an extremely powerful wallbreaker and it doesn't needs that much support (just don't rely on it as Hustle has a unappaeling side effect^^).

breh

強いだね
Zweiolus@Choice Band
252HP/252 Atk/4 SDef
Nature:Adamant
Trait:Hustle
-Stone Edge
-Stone Edge
-Will-o-wisp
-Thunder
This is how I read this set. Having godawful accuracy is not something any pokemon wants. I realize that 72/70/70 isn't bad, but I can't imagine it taking Hitmontop Mach Puch well.

I could see this being really good with CS boosts passed to it, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)