Dragons of Generation 5

I still think Kurimugan is underrated, even if it's not as good as Mence/Garchomp/Ononokusu.

It gets Crunch/Superpower/Outrage + Encourage, Claw Sharpen if you must have an attack booster, good bulk and a very good base 120 ATK. Garchomp sadly outclasses it, but I think it can find a use between Mence(No SR weakness) and Ononokusu(Better bulk). Flygon gives it hard competition, of all things, though.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Ono is DIRECTLY outclassed by Garchomp / Mence, both of which are likely to be OU in gen 5.

Problem with Kurimugan is it's slow and not all that bulky; it'll be good in UU though.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
"Obscenely powerful" is a relative term. If everything is powerful, nothing is. Let's assume for the sake of the argument that "obscenely powerful" refers to anything with potential or utility surpassing Ononokutsu's, like Shanderaa.

You can't prove that. Not right now.
Say hello to ScarfRachi, ScarfSazando, and many others. Speed is the most important stat in Pokemon. Also, compare it to Garchomp. Garchomp is a way better SDer because of its bulk (which is greater than that of Swampert) , its typing (both offensively and defensively), and its exceedingly important base speed.

Salamence is a better DDer than Ononokusu because it hits an exceedingly important base speed (possibly the most competitive speed tier). Salamence also has a great special attack stat too, aiding to its unpredictability. Salamence can go physical, special, or mixed very easily. It can play many different roles too. It can be a sweeper, a wall breaker, a revenge killer, and even a tank.

haunter

Banned deucer.
Infact, we still don't know enough about the new learnsets and, if anything, Ononokusu is neutral to SR, unlike Salamence and is not 4x weak to ice.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
SJCrew, Ono is worse than Garchomp / Mence.
You must have mad psychic abilities to gauge how powerful a Pokemon will be without looking at its movepool or knowing how the upcoming metagame will turn out to be.

147At is nothing to scoff at. In fact choice band/ scarf will be insanely powerful/ an excellent revenger respectively. Is Ono broken? I'd say no, simply as it seems to be a one trick poney, even if it is a trick with 147At.

Kyuremu is not to be overlooked either. With 130/130/95 is going to very extremely versitile mixed or solo attacker. Ice/ Dragon is also pretty awesome. Not only is it a good defensive typing, but it's going to be hitting all the dragons in Ubers Really hard. Ice STAB is nice for the flying defensive behemoths (Lugia, etc).

Zekrom looks amazing (jibaku has already gone into that though)

Reshiram - Cross Flame? (presumed 100 base power) off 150 base spAt, in the sun, with life orb... ouch. It's a shame fire is generally a shit offensive type in Ubers ;/

Aerrow

hunter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Guys, we seriously have to get over this argument/ discussion about Ononokusu's comparison with Salamence, Garchomp, etc. None of us can prove at this point if Ono is inferior to Mence or Chomp because we don't have access to key information such information about the entire learn sets of the new Gen 5 Pokemon. We can start this discussion again when we get this information but for now all we're doing is arguing about things we think are true such as Ono's inferiority to Salamence and Garchomp.

After looking over serebii, Kurimugan is going to be underrated. And it gains mold breaker in Dream World so that is a plus to me. Ono has very nice level up abilities, and has just enough HP at a neutral nature to be deadly. Sazando doesn't get pursuit through leveling up (in fact, most of it's level up moves are somewhat meh here and there. Although it has access to dragon rush, outrage, and dragon pulse). Hopefully it gets it through breeding or something >.<. It can also learn crunch through level up so that's good.

Ono also gets taunt which is epic as hell, and make some use for sure xD. Kyumeru has some nice level up moves as well. Sazando can also gain roar and body slam. My oh my how the movesets are shaping xD.

Alice

The worst taste in music
About Ono:
Sure, Chomp is a better SDer, Mence is a better DDer...
...but Ono gets both. Talk about versatility. (edit - misunderstood of mold breaker mechanics...)
BL?, Good luck trying to stop a team with the 3 of them...

About Kurimugan:
Seems like the perfect user for dragon tail, and along with its bulk and typing it might find a place in stall teams.

Oh my goodness, I nearly had a heart attack when I saw Kyuremu. I've said since the beginning of the Gen 5 hype that all I ever wanted out of the deal was an Ice Dragon and now my prayers have been answered. I used to draw stuff like this when I was a little kid...and the stats look just the way I imagined them too. Thank you, God, thank you Gamefreak, and thank you Gen 5... :')
I had the same reaction when i saw Sazando, ive been wanting a dark/dragon type since gold/silver first came out. Finally i dont need to use a T-Tar to play as my "dragon/dark combo". I cant wait until this game reaches America, Sazando is def my new fav poke and to think ive waited 3 gens just to get one pokemon typing -_____-. Im glad that its here now though.

About Ono:
Sure, Chomp is a better SDer, Mence is a better DDer...
...but Ono gets both. Talk about versatility. Also, mold breaker means scizor is not revenge killing as easily as it could, and intimidators are not hindering it either (a mix between metagross' clear body and mence's intimidate for that matter)
BL?, Good luck trying to stop a team with the 3 of them...

About Kurimugan:
Seems like the perfect user for dragon tail, and along with its bulk and typing it might find a place in stall teams.
I agree with Alice >:). Kruimugan is looking alot more sturdy.

And as i've already stated before: Ono is not a mence. Ono is not a Chomp. Ono is Ono.

Aerrow

hunter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I had the same reaction when i saw Sazando, ive been wanting a dark/dragon type since gold/silver first came out. Finally i dont need to use a T-Tar to play as my "dragon/dark combo". I cant wait until this game reaches America, Sazando is def my new fav poke and to think ive waited 3 gens just to get one pokemon typing -_____-. Im glad that its here now though.
This is really coincidental to be honest; since the first generation, I've been wanting an Dragon/ Ice type and Kyuremu shows up, but as soon as Generation 2 came out and Tyranitar was revealed I've been wanting a real Dragon/ Dark type and Sazando shows up. I'm really going to like this generation.

I fear Kruimugan will stray between UU and OU for eternity.

Guys bulk ono up and he can't be revenged? SD Outrage + haban berry and he is amazing. Hes still fast even if he doesn't beat 100's

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I fear Kruimugan will stray between UU and OU for eternity.

Guys bulk ono up and he can't be revenged? SD Outrage + haban berry and he is amazing. Hes still fast even if he doesn't beat 100's
Ice moves still hit it SE and it's defenses aren't so great. I'd suggest a Yache Berry, because most possible revenge killers will want to hit it with Ice type moves (Dragon types might only have Outrage as a Dragon move). Also, because of its low defenses, anything powerful that's faster can hit it really hard, with a move of any type Dragon doesn't resist.

Afternoon, all! I'm new here and thought I might partake in the discussion of Dragons for this gen, though I do have a quick question concerning EV distribution (which will be saved for later).

Ice/Dragon - This can be a potent combination, I was hoping it would have another ability rather than Pressure, but I can see this making a huge dent in Ubers. Dragon types have a huge weakness to it and it will cripple most anything that isn't Steel/Water.

Dark/Dragon - A good (first) dark type dragon, and it has decent bulk, but I'm worried it will be outclassed by more of the faster base speed dragons out there. I'm looking forward to experimenting with it.

Zekrom - Perhaps my favorite thus far, I've wanted a dragon/electric type for years now, and his art style is wonderful. His two moves [M550] and Cross Thunder seem very appealing, since they are physical attacks, and a huge STAB move bonus.

Reshiram - Same for Zekrom, though with special attacks.

Ono - One of the highest base attack stats for a non legend (perhaps the highest among non legend dragons, if I recall correctly), and his base speed isn't too bad. Paired with Dragon and Swords Dance I can see this being a potent combo, but it will have competition with Mence and Chomp. Still, it can break through walls like none other.

I mentioned EV training earlier, and felt it worthy to post here.

Generally, depending on the Pokemon I am EV training, I put 252 into Special Attack/Speed/etc, then distribute 130 points into HP, and the other 128 into something else accordingly.

However, I'd like a bit of public opinion on this. As an example, assuming gen V uses the same EV rule as gen IV, I'm aiming to EV train Zekrom with 252 ATK, 130 HP, 128 Speed (it really needs a speed boost).

Now, generally I invest 130 EVs into HP most of the time to help with having that Poke avoid the low 300s in health (though this also concerns IV stats too). However, I'm starting to think it may be wise to invest in 252 ATK, 252 Spe, and 6 HP, because the speed boost will be hugely significant.

However, I'm worried that no investment in HP means it can't take too many hits. I wouldn't want it to be a tank, but I also don't want it to die by a simple, unbuffed Dragon Claw (or something of the sort). For quite some time I've always invested 130 EVs into HP, but thinking it may be time to make the switch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks. Personal opinion, bonuses, and downsides to what I am currently doing or changes to what may be made are always welcome. And remember, this isn't strictly for Zekrom, it's for any Pokemon I consider investing HP in. I want to make sure I make the most of EV investments, and having the proper nature to coincide with it.

I think that Kyuremu will go something like the Lati twins It'll probably have some item depending on which game you have that will 1. Increase Sp. Attk and Def. By X% or 2. Increase Attk and Sp. Def by X%. I would assume if they indeed include these items Kyuremu will learn either the 140 Power Special Ice if in White as a counterpart to Zekrom or Physical 140 Power Ice as a counter to Reshiram or it could be the opposite situation. Or it might act as both where you can choose to receive one of the items or at least that is what I think. Any thoughts on this?

i dont know if anyone thought of this, but that dragon that everyone says is gonna be UU ( cant remember the name) gets encourage in dream world, so wouldnt that mean it could use outrage and superpower with no drawback( assuming it works this way)? maybe that alone can make it OU

Aerrow

hunter
Guys, I've updated the OP with a list of the Dragon-Types from the older generations for easier access and an easier way to compare Pokemon.

i dont know if anyone thought of this, but that dragon that everyone says is gonna be UU ( cant remember the name) gets encourage in dream world, so wouldnt that mean it could use outrage and superpower with no drawback( assuming it works this way)? maybe that alone can make it OU

Kurimugan doesn't get Encourage in dream world. It gets mold breaker. It can already have encourage as it's starting ability. Regardless, it has to take in account it's other stats, and may not be useful, if at all.

Good stuff about the update Aerrow. With all the random dragon topics opening up, hopefully it moves to here instead >:).

Sazando is Ononokusu's greatest check, with a scarf attached it can easily revenge kill it with a Dragon Pulse or Draco Meteor as it has a high SpA and Ononokusu has a low Special Defence. The -100 Base speed is what is keeping it from being overpowered.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)