Scolipede

#545 Pendora --

Pendora is one of the few Poison types introduced in the 5th Generation. With its fantastic base 112 Speed, decent 90 base Attack and good movepool it is going to be one of the most threating Physical sweepers in the lower tiers.

Type Chart
:

0.25x

0.50x

1.00x

2.00x

Base Stats: Hp 60 - Atk 90 - Def 89 - SAtk 55 - SDef 69 - Spe 112

Abilities:

-Swarm:
When HP is below 1/3rd, Bug’s power increases to 1.5 times

-Poison Point: The opponent has a 30% chance of being Poisoned when using an attack, that requires physical contact, against this Pokémon.

-Quick Feet: When this Pokémon is burned, frozen, paralyzed, poisoned, or sleeping, its Speed increases by 50%. Furthermore, the Speed drop of paralysis is nullified (but the chance of being "fully paralyzed" is not).

Movepool
:

- Pre-Evolution only Moves: Iron Defense

- Egg Moves: Twineedle - Pin Missile - Toxic Spikes - Spikes - Take Down - Rock Climb

- Level-Up Moves:
Lv1: Megahorn, Lv1: Defense Curl, Lv1: Rollout, Lv1: Poison Sting, Lv1: Screech, Lv5: Poison Sting, Lv8: Screech, Lv12: Pursuit, Lv15: Protect, Lv19: Poison Tail, Lv23: Bug Bite, Lv28: Venom Shock, Lv30: Baton Pass, Lv33: Agility, Lv39: Hard Roller, Lv44: Toxic, Lv50: Rock Climb, Lv55: Double-Edge

- Learnable TMs: TM06 - Toxic, TM09 - Venom Shock, TM10 - Hidden Power, TM11 - Sunny Day, TM15 - Hyper Beam, TM17 - Protect, TM21 - Frustration, TM22 - Solar Beam, TM26 - Earthquake, TM27 - Return, TM28 - Dig, TM32 - Double Team, TM36 - Sludge Bomb, TM39 - Rock Tomb, TM42 - Facade, TM44 - Rest, TM45 - Attract, TM48 - Troll, TM66 - Payback, TM68 - Giga Impact, TM74 - Gyro Ball, TM75 - Swords Dance, TM76 - Bug Resistance, TM78 - Smooth Over, TM80 - Rock Slide, TM81 - X-Scissor, TM84 - Poison Jab, TM87 - Swagger, TM90 - Substitute, TM94 - Rock Smash, HM01 - Cut, HM04 - Strength

Name - Physical/Special - Type - PPs - Power - Accuracy - Description

Venom Shock: Special Poison 10 65 100 Power doubles if Target is poisoned.
Hard Roller: Physical Bug 20 65 100 May cause opponent to flinch. Power is doubled if Minimize is in effect for opponent.
Troll: Special Normal 15 60 100 Raises Base Power the more Pokemon you have with the attack.
Bug Resistance: Special Bug 20 30 100 May decrease opponent's Special Attack by 1 stage.
Smooth Over: Physical Ground 20 60 100 May decrease opponent's Speed by 1 stage.

Swords Dance

Pendora @ Life Orb
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SAtk)
Ability: Quick Feet
EVs 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Megahorn / X-Scissor
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide / Poison Jab

This is the most destructive set Pendora can run. With Swords Dance Pendora can boost its mediocre Attack to a number of 612 after a single turn and start to sweep, outspeeding most of the metagame thanks to its 355 Speed. Megahorn is the necessary STAB but it can be replaced with X-Scissor if you prefer a more accurate move. Earthquake is the best way Pendora has to hit Fire, Rock and Steel Pokémon and with Rock Slide it forms a pseudo EdgeQuake combo, which grants awesome coverage.
On the last slot Poison Jab is also viable as a secondary STAB move but Rock Slide is generally a better choice.

Baton Pass

Pendora @ Leftovers / Salac Berry
Ability: Poison Point / Swarm
EVs 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Megahorn / X-Scissor
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

This is pretty much the standard Baton Passing Bug, just like the one Scyther, Venomoth, Beedrill and Ledian can run.
Even with those paltry 60/89/69 defenses and 2x weakness to Stealth Rock with this EV spread it has enough speed and bulk to set up at least one Swords Dance and abuse the boost with the STAB move of choice or pass it to another physical sweeper. Substitute protects it from status and is useful to scout the opponent's move at little risk to itself. Leftovers gives Pendora some more durability on the field but Salac Berry can be used to pass both Attack and Speed on the same set. Pendora is also able to Baton Pass Agility and Iron Defense but it is generally better to pass Attack boosts to physical sweepers.

Other Options:
Pendora is the fastest Spikes and Toxic Spikes user in the game but the lack of other supporting moves like Taunt or Rapid spin means it is outclassed by pretty much everything.

Conclusion:
What's your opinion about this new Pokémon that B/W gave us?
What are its best counters and team mates?
Share your ideas with the rest of the community by leaving a comment.

Excellent design and a cool movepool.
Has some potential in the lower tiers either as a Swords Dance sweeper or a suicide lead Spiker.

First of all, Paralysis has no speed dropping effect with Quick Feet, and your speed still gets boosted.

I can't really see this guy going in OU. He'll probably be a decent sweeper in lower tiers, but looking at the defenses I don't think he'll support very well.

-Quick Feet: Speed is increased by 50% when induced with a status (Burn, Sleep, Freeze but not Paralyze).
actually

"When this Pokémon is burned, frozen, paralyzed, poisoned, or sleeping, its Speed increases by 50%. Furthermore, the Speed drop of paralysis is nullified (but the chance of being "fully paralyzed" is not)."
taken from here: http://www.smogon.com/dp/abilities/quick_feet

Unless i'm mistaken and the mechanics changed this generation.

Edit: Ninja'd by DialaceStarvy lol no cool man...

@DailaceStarvy: Thanks for the nitpick. Anyway we all already know that it is outclassed by most OU Pokémon but, as I said, it is probably "going to be one of the most threating Physical sweepers in the lower tiers" which are UU and NU.

This thing could have probably been a very reliable counter to Jaroda (who is likely going to be in the lower tiers), but its one base stat point away... How sad. Just missed out on a set-up fodder.

Cool movepool and high speed are what I think will save this badass centipede from being banished to BW NU. I'll definitely be testing him out sometime, too cool to pass up.

Thanks for giving some love to this Pokemon man! He is one of my favorites this gen and as soon as i saw Baton Pass on him i said "Damn...i want to learn to use BP now!". Ill try and make some sort of BP set prototype as i have never played one.

Pendora
Nature: Jolly (+Speed-SpA)
Item:Leftovers(?), Stat Boosting Berry (?)
EVs: 252Speed/252HP (Not pretty sure about this spread as i have never tried BP)
-Substitute
-Baton Pass
-Swords Dance/ Agility/ Iron defense
-Megahorn

This of course gets outclassed by Ninjask but New BP users are welcome in UU i guess!
Maybe this set can be used as a Lead BP like ninjask?

@Sixonesix: As VaxtinTheWolf already said I meant x2...lol, thanks for the nitpick anyway.

@Curse: Thanks for posting the set, I'm gonna update it ASAP with comments and everything. Pendora <3

@Sixonesix: As VaxtinTheWolf already said I meant x2...lol, thanks for the nitpick anyway.

@Curse: Thanks for posting the set, I'm gonna update it ASAP with comments and everything. Pendora <3
Good to know im helping :D! But please if you feel the Spread or exact moves need some tweaks feel free to change them, remember i've never tried a BP set and Pendora may run it better with different things.

I can see Pendrive as a Toxic Spikes/Spikes lead in lower tiers. Toxic Spikes(Spikes)/Megahorn/Protect/Filler, with Quick Feet and holding a Sash.

However, I think he would benefit more from Guts than from Quick Feet.

Pendora @ Leftovers / Salac Berry
Ability: Poison Point / Swarm
EVs 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Megahorn / X-Scissor
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

This is pretty much the standard Baton Passing Bug, just like the one Scyther, Venomoth, Beedrill and Ledian can run.
Even with those paltry 60/89/69 defenses and 2x weakness to Stealth Rock with this EV spread it has enough speed and bulk to set up at least one Swords Dance and abuse the boost with the STAB move of choice or pass it to another physical sweeper. Substitute protects it from status and is useful to scout the opponent's move at little risk to itself. Leftovers gives Pendora some more durability on the field but Salac Berry can be used to pass both Attack and Speed on the same set. Pendora is also able to Baton Pass Agility and Iron Defense but it is generally better to pass Attack boosts to physical sweepers.
Love it!

The spread was ok after all. Yeah..i can see using this guy to Baton pass some of my sweepers, although i was thinking on BP agility as most of the monsters i like from this gen are really slow, i guess i'll leave the speed to TR then.

Pendora <3.

I see him making use of Venom Shock if he is running Toxic Spikes since it doubles in power to 130 with perfect accuracy when something is poisoned.

I see him making use of Venom Shock if he is running Toxic Spikes since it doubles in power to 130 with perfect accuracy when something is poisoned.
Sadly Pendoraas Sp.Attack is terrilble =/ and you would be sacrificing its good Speed and its somewhat decent Attack to boost a bad stat for this pokemon and remember poison is only good against grass so,imo, theres no reason to waste a slot for Venom Shock when it has so many great moves!

Hm, I don't know why I was under the impression Venom Shock was physical. So much new stuff, getting it all confused I guess, my bad.

I really like Pendora as a Pokemon, and he's one I used for my In-Game playthrough.

He's basically Beedrill on steroids with his typing, ability to Baton Pass Swords Dances, Agility and to Toxic Spike. The fact that he receives Earthquake helps him a ton. He plays well with the large number of Rock types, absorbing the Grass / Fighting attacks aimed that them, while he appreciates the Rocks taking his Flying / Fire coverage.

Obviously, Bug / Poison is not the best typing in the world, but I like this guy to stick around in the lower tiers.

@EvilMario: I definately agree with you. Infact an awesome recipent/partner of the Baton Pass set (just as it is for BP Scyther) is Rock Polish Rhyperior. Rhyperior can take those Rock, Flying and Fire type moves aimed at Pendora with ease and set up a Rock Polish while the opponent is forced switch. A +2, +2 Rhyperior is able to destroy everything he faces in the lower tiers.

I would like to see how well Pendora could use a SwarmSalac set. Although, coverage would be quite a problem.
Believe it or not, this guy has good coverage: he gets QuakeEdge! With Megahorn, he's only resisted by Heracross in the 4th gen. UU (Yes, I know that the 5th gen. UU could be totally different).

When I first saw Pandora, I thought he would suck. But he has a better movepool than his fellow 5th gen. Bugs, like Shubarugo and Agiruda.

My 5th gen. Bug team is complete: Hahakurimo, Shubarugo, Agiruda, Pendrive, Denchura and Urugumosu.

ghost

formerly goldenghost
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LC Leader
From the instant I saw this thing, I knew it was the goddamn coolest thing ever.

The Swords Dance set will likely rape things in NU play.

From the instant I saw this thing, I knew it was the goddamn coolest thing ever.

The Swords Dance set will likely rape things in NU play.
You are all forgeting it's so awesome when it comes out of the pokeball, makes probably the coolest Roar(cry) in the history of pokemon and falls to the ground in an all mighty cloud of .. metallic dust... its badass!

When do you think it would be better to play Pendoraa as a support pokemon or as a SD sweeper?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)