Throh

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Nageki - The Judo Pokemon

Type: Fighting

Stats:
120 HP
100 Atk
85 Def
30 SpA
85 SpD
45 Spe

Abilities:

Guts: When this Pokémon is affected by burn, paralysis, poison, or sleep, its Attack is increased by 50%. Guts ignores burn's Attack drop.

Inner Focus: This Pokémon cannot be flinched by moves like Fake Out or Rock Slide. Does not prevent this Pokémon from "losing its focus" when hit while using Focus Punch.

Mold Breaker(DW): If this Pokémon attacks and the target's ability would prevent the effects of the attack from taking place, or hinder the effects of the move, the ability is temporarily nullified while the attack is in progress. Abilities that prevent status such as Limber are deactivated during the attack which allows a Pokémon that has one to be affected by the status they prevent, but the ability cures the status immediately after the attack.

Level-Up Moves:
Code:
Lv1: Bind
Lv1: Leer
Lv5: Bide
Lv9: Focus Energy
Lv13: Seismic Toss
Lv17: Vital Throw
[B]Lv21: Revenge
Lv25: Mountain Storm
Lv29: Body Slam
Lv33: Bulk Up
Lv37: Overhead Throw[/B]
Lv41: Endure
[B]Lv45: Wide Guard
Lv49: Superpower[/B]
Lv53: Reversal
Egg Moves: None, Nageki are all Male.

TMs/HMs:
Code:
TM06 - Toxic
[B]TM08 - Bulk Up[/B]
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM11 - Sunny Day
[B]TM12 - Taunt[/B]
TM17 - Protect
TM18 - Rain Dance
TM21 - Frustration
[B]TM26 - Earthquake[/B]
TM27 - Return
TM28 - Dig
[B]TM31 - Brick Break[/B]
TM32 - Double Team
TM39 - Rock Tomb
[B]TM42 - Facade[/B]
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM47 - Ankle Sweep
TM48 - Troll
TM52 - Focus Blast
TM56 - Fling
[B]TM66 - Payback[/B]
TM67 - Get Even
TM68 - Giga Impact
[B]TM71 - Stone Edge[/B]
TM78 - Level Ground
TM80 - Rock Slide
TM83 - Cheer Up
TM84 - Poison Jab
TM86 - Grass Knot
TM87 - Swagger
[B]TM90 - Substitute[/B]
TM94 - Rock Smash
HM04 - Strength
Mountain Storm: Physical Fighting PP: 10 Power: 40 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: Critical Hit(100%).

Overhead Throw: Physical Fighting PP: 10 Power: 60 / Accuracy: 90 Effect: Switches the defending Pokemon.

Wide Guard: Protects your team from an attack that would hit all of your Pokemon. Will begin to fail if used in succession.

Ankle Sweep: Physical Fighting PP: 20 Power: 60 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: Decreases opponent's Speed by 1 stage.

Level Ground: Physical Ground PP: 20 Power: 60 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: May decrease opponent's Speed by 1 stage.

Initial Notes:

Insofar as stats and movepool are concerned, Nageki seems inferior to its Fighting-type Brethren. This is deceptive, as while none of its stats are particularly exciting, its 120/85/85 defenses are superior even to those of Hariyama. 100 Atk is passable for what it needs to do, and it has a combination of moves and abilities that let it capitalize on this bulk. Further commentary will be on the sets. Nageki is an interesting addition, and as a pokemon with Wide Guard it might end up more suitable for 2vs2, but it does have some very interesting features.

Potential Sets:

Mold Hazard:
Nageki @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 96 HP / 64 Atk / 216 Def / 132 SpD
Nature: Impish (+Def, -SpA)
~Substitute
~Body Slam
~Overhead Throw
~Earthquake

Nageki isn't up to snuff as a sweeper like many of its other brethren, but it's got a few useful tools to wear down the opposition slowly. Unless it was a Shoddy Error, Mold Breaker causes Spikes and Toxic Spikes to affect Pokemon with Levitate when they come in. Combined with Overhead Throw's Roar effect, Nageki can scout the opponent's team while doing fairly consistent damage, and if an opponent is dragged in that cannot immediately address Nageki, Nageki gets a chance to set up a Substitute. Body Slam fixes Nageki's speed problem by paralyzing foes and also gives it more chances to set up a Sub or use Overhead Throw without taking an attack. Earthquake rounds out the set, OHKO'ing Gengar after Stealth Rock or Spikes damage. Earthquake also affects many of the bulky levitators (who often have Will-o-Wisp), including the Rotom forms and Bronzong. In this case, Fighting and Ground have little redundancy.

Special Defensive Booster:
Nageki @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
EVs: 208 HP / 24 Atk / 24 Def / 252 SpD
Nature: Careful (+SpD, -SpA)
~ Bulk Up
~ Mountain Storm / Brick Break
~ Payback
~ Stone Edge

With Boiling Water expected to be a common staple of Bulky Waters, Nageki makes an exceptional switchin to their attacks and can use the burn to set up. What separates Nageki is it's nifty Mountain Storm attack, unique to Nageki alone. 40 Base Power that always critical hits doesn't sound great at first, but it is Nageki's strongest drawback-free attack. Additionally with a Bulk Up boost and a Guts boost, it can break through any of the opponents defensive measures. Granted a Brick Break critical hit does more damage than Mountain Storm by a long shot, but it is weaker otherwise. However, it can break through Screens and won't set off Anger Point or be blocked by Battle/Shell Armor. Without access to Sleep Talk Nageki is at a distinct disadvantage to the older generation of Fighting Pokemon, so instead it optimizes coverage with Payback and Stone Edge.

First Ice Breath, now Mountain Storm? What the hell was Game Freak smoking when they made B/W? Nageki seems like a bulkier Hariyama, with less attack. It is a very viable Focus Puncher. Or even a Bulk Up Focus Puncher. That would hit like a ton of bricks. Of course the inevitable comparison to Roopushin and Machamp. But Mountain Storm is something that sets it apart. Crits every turn? Hell yeah! Even though with a pitiful base 40 power, couple it with STAB and base 100 Attack, it can do some damage!

Karate Rob anyone? NN's are always cool when the poke is humanlike.

Mountain Storm is definitely an interesting ability.

It can actually set up along with and OHKO an unsuspecting opponent running Bulk Up or Cosmic Power.
At least, I suspect Mountain Storm will ignore all boosts because that's what crits do.

I imagine you could trick someone into think you're running Brick Break by running both, tricking them into Bulking up so you can sweep the entire team, because few things are going to do something against this guy if it has 4 or more bulk ups under its belt. Even with attacks that are resisted.

I'd be interested to see a thread comparing Nageki and his blue muppet clone. They really stopped trying on character design for this generation, didn't they? Haha..

Ummmm After STAB and crits, doesn't mountain storm's power end up being 120, not to mention that it ignores def boosts? holy fuck.

Pretty good stats all-around, and a broad movepool. I can see him potentially taking names in UU and being brought up into OU on occasion by those who like him, i.e. me (although I do find his design rather bland compared to other Fighting types, but eh). I'm a sucker for Fighting types.

Flavor complaint: Why did Hariyama not get Overhead Throw? Hell, even Buneary and Whismur get it. It fits Hariyama's theme perfectly, even if Whirlwind's a much better option because the sumo's so slow anyway.

These new "always crit" moves are quite interesting.. in exchange for being able to break bulk up stalling, you're at risk for the enemy bringing in an anger point user...

I still like Dageki better, but only because it has a higher base Atk.

I'm totally in love with Overhead Throw as its the first time I have heard of the move. Awesome man, a roar that doesn't go last, but only thing I do hate about this Pokemon is that the speed doesn't help the move.

He does seem really fun though. His always critical move seems like an awesome move as well. I'm probably going to pack him into my teams even if I'm fighting in OU.

120 BP every turn, 100 accuracy, with no drawbacks...? Running this off of 100 base Attack? Not to mention, the nice defenses?

Once Gen V hits Shoddy Battle...Nageki's the first Isshu Pokemon I put on my team.

120 BP every turn, 100 accuracy, with no drawbacks...? Running this off of 100 base Attack? Not to mention, the nice defenses?

Once Gen V hits Shoddy Battle...Nageki's the first Isshu Pokemon I put on my team.
120BP including stab. So it's really 80BP *1.5 Maybe you know this, but if you thought it was as strong as CC it's really not.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant. But it's just about as good as CC, since there's no drawback unless the opponent has an ability that runs off of critical hits.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pretty good stats all-around, and a broad movepool. I can see him potentially taking names in UU and being brought up into OU on occasion by those who like him, i.e. me (although I do find his design rather bland compared to other Fighting types, but eh). I'm a sucker for Fighting types.

Flavor complaint: Why did Hariyama not get Overhead Throw? Hell, even Buneary and Whismur get it. It fits Hariyama's theme perfectly, even if Whirlwind's a much better option because the sumo's so slow anyway.
Here's a seoi nage:

Ever seen one done in sumo? :P You need great grace and intuition to be good at Judo-- Sumo is more like watching 2 Rhino's fight (truly spectacular to whitness btw-- you don't get how much raw muscle there is until you see it in front of you).

I used to love abusing seoi nage in elementary school . . . then I grew taller (it's a move that works better the shorter you are-- and I was short man, it worked awesome). Fail :/

First Ice Breath, now Mountain Storm? What the hell was Game Freak smoking when they made B/W? Nageki seems like a bulkier Hariyama, with less attack. It is a very viable Focus Puncher. Or even a Bulk Up Focus Puncher. That would hit like a ton of bricks. Of course the inevitable comparison to Roopushin and Machamp. But Mountain Storm is something that sets it apart. Crits every turn? Hell yeah! Even though with a pitiful base 40 power, couple it with STAB and base 100 Attack, it can do some damage!

Karate Rob anyone? NN's are always cool when the poke is humanlike.
They were thinking stat increasing can be cheap and needed something extra to compensate for the lack of skill it take to bulk up or iron defense etc.

I like him, is he the pre-evo or the final version because I saw somewhere the other one was the final version.

Doesn't Ditto + Nageki / 100% gender Pokemon still produce egg moves? Like if the dad has a move, it can pass it down without TMs/Leveling?

Works for Nidoking...

The fact that mountain storm always crits seemed really exciting til you mentioned anger point...
Umm, works great for a Teammate in 2v2/3v3 to sweep!

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm totally in love with Overhead Throw as its the first time I have heard of the move. Awesome man, a roar that doesn't go last, but only thing I do hate about this Pokemon is that the speed doesn't help the move.

He does seem really fun though. His always critical move seems like an awesome move as well. I'm probably going to pack him into my teams even if I'm fighting in OU.
Overhead Throw is in the same priority tier as Roar, which is why the set has Body Slam for paralysis, since Skarmory's Whirlwind is faster (as a bonus, if it tries to Roost it gets hit for SE and then switched out).

Incidentally Drifblim is immune to all the attacks on that set, but I don't suspect a lot of people will use Driflim, and if they somehow do, Payback still gets the KO on Gengar.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
The Specially-Defensive Set looks like the best for him IMO, giving him power with a lot of bulk.

Here's a seoi nage:

Ever seen one done in sumo? :P You need great grace and intuition to be good at Judo-- Sumo is more like watching 2 Rhino's fight (truly spectacular to whitness btw-- you don't get how much raw muscle there is until you see it in front of you).

I used to love abusing seoi nage in elementary school . . . then I grew taller (it's a move that works better the shorter you are-- and I was short man, it worked awesome). Fail :/
Well, awesome, I learned something about Judo today : )

And maybe I should have thought before I posted. An overhead throw in real-life sumo... nah. But yes, 'tis under-appreciated by being passed off as "silly." Irony of my avatar aside.

As for Mountain Breath: Is the crit calculated after STAB? I've heard that crits are calculated last and that this has bearing and how much damage you do, but I'm uncertain.

As for Mountain Breath: Is the crit calculated after STAB? I've heard that crits are calculated last and that this has bearing and how much damage you do, but I'm uncertain.
Surely that wouldn't matter? As 40*1.5*2 = 60*2 =120 (crit after STAB), and 40*2*1.5 = 80*1.5 = 120 (crit before STAB).

I think this Fighting guy will be a great addition to the UU metagame, it doesn't seem like OU material to me...

Anyways, the Special Defensive Booster set, could Overhead Throw be used over Brick Break / Mountain Storm. Overhead Throw could potentially help the set out, imo.

I must say when i saw Nageki I just skimmed right by him... However I must say he looks really good despite his BST. I plan to use him on one of my teams some how.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)