CAP 3 CAP 3 - Part 3 (New Evolution/New Pokemon Discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I vote New Species. I feel this new CAP pokemon should not have a restricted movepool and base stats options. I also feel that none of the existing pokemon's appearance and role should be changed by a new evolution.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
New Species

Short of some ridiculous kind of fire stone evolution on an already Sun-stoned pokemon (Sunflora), Using a New Evolution just limits your movepool options too greatly. You can't just barge in, say "Ditto is now evolving," and then randomly throw in Body Slam, Ice Beam, and Force Palm into its learnset.

New Evos, especially of the kind we're implementing, are either unfounded (evolving a Stone evolution) or too llimited.

Sorry guys, but Sunflora already used a Stone Evolution. It's pretty much done unless you want to violate every precedent set in pokemon.

That and your "fast sweeper" ideas are pretty much blown out of the water if you use Sunflora as a base. Sunflora isn't just going to gain 75 Base Speed because its petals are now on fire.

New Species

<insert obligatory "stifling of creativity" comment here>

Besides, I don't think anything not named Cherrim could reasonably become fiery upon evolving. If the type was Grass/Fire, I would support a Sunflora evo, but it's not so I don't want an evolution.

New Species

I find that the pro's (ultimate freedom) outweigh the cons here. Indeed, we have to discuss more...but CAP is about the discussions and the fun of it, about the process, so I don't mind at all. People on the Official Shoddy Server who don't understand the project by now probably never will, and whether you make a Sunflora evo or a new one, it is no longer Pokemon as these conservatives know it, so I frankly don't see the deal.

New Species mainly for the fact that its more satisfying for me (yes, im selfish) but also because it gives us so much more creative freedom to work with, instead of being confined to restraints set by the same people who gave garchomp sand veil.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
We can always do an alternate evolution instead of a final evolution. Why can't Sunkern evolve into something different using a Fire Stone, for example?

And nobody is forcing us to evolve Sunflora in the first place. It could be any Pokemon.

About the stats, it's not that stats don't affect a Pokemon, but it's actually the movepool and typing that affects a Pokemon's playability more than its stats. Breloom's stats are not too good, yet it's used a lot. Entei, on the other hand, has superb stats, yet it's barely used. Why? Because of their movepool and typing.

Well, I've made up my mind: New Pokémon.

I'd rather see a fresh new design than having to evolve (art-wise) a existing one.

New Species

I don't like having a additional forced restriction on stats, movesets, abilities, etc. The only grass type I'd even somewhat want to see a new evolution of anyway is Carnivine, and fire types only have Rapidash, Torkoal, Magcargo, and Camerupt.

You have to admit, seeing Marcargo turn into a fire/grass would be pretty funny... IMO, if we DO make a new evo, it's not going to be Cherrim; Cherrim CAN be used (especially in ubers double matches).

I think that we should just keep the CAP project to new species, for the simple reason that Nintendo may make their own evolutions some day.

By the way, did we ever send Syclant to Nintendo, or did that fizzle out?

New Species please. I like the ideas given already (panda, lion, pepper).

In the event an evolution does win, will there be a separate vote to determine whose evolution?

Everyone needs to remember that not only does a Evolution restrict our Moveset and Ability Options AND Base stat options, Everything is already sorted into Competitive play. Just because somthing's UU Dosen't mean that it dosen't exist. If you like something, use it.
A Pokemon's usability is practically guaranteed to increase from the result of this project, and I have a feeling I will like a Sunflora evolution with decent typing and decent abilities more than I currently like Sunflora.

Fire types that could possibly get an evolution could include Arcanine (although I probably wouldn't change its base stats too much), Rapidash, Ponyta (alternate evolution), Growlithe (alternate evolution), Vulpix (alternate evolution), Torkoal, Magmar (alternate evolution - although this would probably mean we would need something else coming from Electabuzz too), Slugma (alternate evolution) and Magby.

I think that your limited movepool (I assume this is what you intended, not moveset), ability and base stats related statements are somewhat true however. That doesn't mean I am changing my vote! Perhaps we could have some sort of vote to make Grass the primary type now that we have the Fire and Grass types together established (someone suggested this in the other thread, which is also where I got that primary typing thing from).

Evolution of an existing Species!

Seriously some pokemons need evolutions!And i like a lot the new evolutions of some pokemons,like dusknoir,gallade...

And i would like to see any new pokemon species!Maybe Ice/Dragon?
Dark/psychic?or EVEN Grass/Flying!

New Species

You can easily make the new pokemon an improvement on Sunflora, which is basically the whole point people wanting the evolution, without having to make it an official evolution of Sunflora.

This way, we can both have the re-vamped Sunflora we all wanted or still have the freedom to change its movepool or have a different stat distribution. And also, the art work would be very hard to make if it was an evolution as Sunflora is clearly a grass type pokemon from its sprite whilst the sprite of any new pokemon would have to show that it is mainly a fire type and so the evo would probably not look anything like it.

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
*sneaks in casually*
I'd have to go with NEW SPECIES, mainly because of creativity and that sort of thing, as I've stated in the previous CAP projects. After suffering a severe bout of artist's block for the past two months, I finally got over it, and now I have some decent ideas for this 'mon. Hopefully I won't implode and disappear like I did the last project.

New Species

We are making a new generation. I know we all would love to evolve some already existing pokemon, but isn't that a lot less fun and a lot more restrictive? Lets stick with New Pokes.

New Species, mostly because there's no logic behind turning any grass type we have into a part-fire type. I fail to see why a Sunflora/Cherrim/Carnivine evo would have any reason to be on fire. Not even with Pokemon logic.

EDIT:
or EVEN Grass/Flying!
Jumpluff and Tropius say hi, not to mention that's not what's hppening here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)