Team preview discussion;

If tp shows that my pure sand team is going against a pure rain team (let's assume that the rain team stomps the sand team), the problem isn't with team preview, its me for making such a bad team

I've had much more exciting games with tp than without. In the endgame, both players will be fighting to keep their best pokemon alive. Before, I've had so many battles where my last pokemon is sweeping their team, only for their last pokemon to be a hard counter that they haven't revealed. I lose because of luck, not because my opponent is more skilled than I am.

In any case, ragequitting because of a bad matchup is just stupid. I've won games where my team was at a severe disadvantage and have lost games that I thought I had in a bag. Tp isn't like arceus making a statement on who will win.

Azure Demon

If tp shows that my pure sand team is going against a pure rain team (let's assume that the rain team stomps the sand team), the problem isn't with team preview, its me for making such a bad team
I agree with this 100%

At the same time Team preview also lets him manage his pokemon so that he will have a fighting chance. Where in 4th gen he would be completely screwed.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Also, if we were to ban Team Preview, we'd end up going "well, would Blaziken still be broken without Team Preview? Would Darkrai? Would Shaymin? We couldn't be sure -- no one can be sure from theorymonning -- so we'd better go back and retest them." Changing such a fundamental part of the game would invalidate all of the suspect testing we've already done and all in all just screw with our metagame.

I get the feeling that the OP made this topic as a thinly disguised place for him to baw and hate on Team Preview and he doesn't really care about what we say -- he'll always hate it. If you are set in your position, then why bother making a thread when all you're going to do is blatantly ignore everyone else's position?

EDIT: Also woo 200th post

Also, if we were to ban Team Preview, we'd end up going "well, would Blaziken still be broken without Team Preview? Would Darkrai? Would Shaymin? We couldn't be sure -- no one can be sure from theorymonning -- so we'd better go back and retest them." Changing such a fundamental part of the game would invalidate all of the suspect testing we've already done and all in all just screw with our metagame.

I get the feeling that the OP made this topic as a thinly disguised place for him to baw and hate on Team Preview and he doesn't really care about what we say -- he'll always hate it. If you are set in your position, then why bother making a thread when all you're going to do is blatantly ignore everyone else's position?

EDIT: Also woo 200th post
Even if we did ban it, then what could we possibly do for actual Wi-Fi matches?

And I agree with the second paragraph.

Even if we did ban it, then what could we possibly do for actual Wi-Fi matches?

And I agree with the second paragraph.
That's most of the point... There's nothing we can do about it and PO will most likely not change. Hating it is pretty much just like beating a dead horse...

Pointless.

I think the most compelling argument for Wi-Fi Clause is that it increases the chance that the player with more skill wins. There is very little skill involved with keeping one Pokemon "hidden" - it's basically just a function of how the battle has gone to that point that allows you to do so or forces you to send out a counter earlier than anticipated. However, with Wi-Fi Clause, the more skilled player can now consider the additional ramifications of sacrificing any given Pokemon, which Pokemon to tank certain hits with, etc. Anything that means that a more skilled player is more likely to win I think is a net positive, even if it forces players to learn a new skillset that they didn't have to consider before.

I think the most compelling argument for Wi-Fi Clause is that it increases the chance that the player with more skill wins. There is very little skill involved with keeping one Pokemon "hidden" - it's basically just a function of how the battle has gone to that point that allows you to do so or forces you to send out a counter earlier than anticipated. However, with Wi-Fi Clause, the more skilled player can now consider the additional ramifications of sacrificing any given Pokemon, which Pokemon to tank certain hits with, etc. Anything that means that a more skilled player is more likely to win I think is a net positive, even if it forces players to learn a new skillset that they didn't have to consider before.
I believe you mean "Team Preview", OR...

TorchicBlaziken said:
Battle Box Phase.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think the very notion of either way requiring more skill is absurd. Sure each one requires different sets of skills, but both require just as much skill if you want to win. Really, it just comes down to personal preference.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well to be fair Blaze almost certainly would be broken as an opponent could no longer ensure that their checks/counters are at high health or indeed alive as the Blaze user now has the option to keep it hidden.

On Wifi, it's not so much of an enforceable clause as much as it is an agreement to only look at your own Battle Box. It could never possibly become standard.

And I think this should be a clause in all gens (and standard in 1st Gen Stadium rules) as every console game had this same feature. In Gen IV, however, it would have to assume D/P physics, too...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)