What kind of research do you want to see done first?

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
Moves? Items? Abilities? Move set lists? Pokemon locations? Combination attacks? Battle Subway Pokemon and Trainer listing? I, and I'm sure a bunch of other people, will be spending the first few weeks figuring out how everything works. However, we can't do everything first so what information would you like to see prioritized?

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
1. Base Stat Totals
2. Complete Movepools
3. Ability descriptions and distribution
4. New Moves
5. New Items
6. Everything else

In that order preferebly.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
As far as competitive battling goes, I want to see the 0 IV stats of the new Pokemon first so I can predetermine the competitive value of them (i.e. Infernape compared to Rampardos LOL). The moves come later so I can experiment on a few before going down competitively.

As far as the other aspects go, Pokemon location should be figured out manually by Pokedex, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem later on.

1.) abilities (dream world changes in particular)

2.) Move pools

3.) total BST

4.) new moves

5 .) new items

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would like moveset lists to be prioritized, since it'll be extremely important for discussions on individual Pokémon. Next would be abilties and the moves themselves, since people are prone to make incorrect assumptions about them before being properly tested.

I have to wonder, how long did it take to figure out the damage formula for gen 4? Since I feel that this may be more important than abilties and moves, but Im not sure how long that will take.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
From the experience of last gen, pokemon lists with stats, traits and movelists will appear almost immediately.

Move data is probably the next most important thing, then traits, then items. Because these are the things that have the biggest impact on battling.

[edit] - the damage formula actually took ages to work out. But ultimately, it was very similar to the old one. In terms of actually playing the game it didnt really have a significant impact. Just in the creation of the simulator.. That sort of thing imo should be a low priority, because it isnt hugely important to be 100% accurate on, and because its really difficult to work out. Or at least this is my understanding..

Have a nice day.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hm, someone will probably dump the game and extract most of the information like stats, move names + power + descriptions, ability names + descriptions, and typings. So I guess it's down to figuring out how each move or ability works exactly.

I'd like the most interesting abilities on Pokemon that look like they'll be competitively viable researched first and then move onto moves with secondary effects that look like they'll be of use researched second.

Serebii will have 1-5, and the descriptions they give in game, but our researching squad will have to do extra work to figure out if a boost is 1.2* or 1.3* since Nintendo doesn't just hand that info out in the game usually.

1. BST
2. Movepool/Egg moves

The most important thing is going to be BST at first, because it's pointless to discuss new pokemon if they have "unfortunate" stats. Plus, there was speculation that some of the BSTs of existing pokemon may be changed, so that should be first and probably easiest.

Then, I want to see the movepools, especially egg moves for current pokemon. Some of these new moves could make some older pokemon quite different.

I'd like to see mechanical changes such as the IV's being 8 stats or something like that? How do the seeds and RNG work with that? EV's only in fours now?

Also would like to see if that Platinum rain glitch still exists (it doesn't for HG/SS right? I'm not even sure).

Aside from that, I wonder if seasons make any competitive difference.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
I have to wonder, how long did it take to figure out the damage formula for gen 4? Since I feel that this may be more important than abilties and moves, but Im not sure how long that will take.
I think it took quite a while after the English release before X-Act and Peterko managed to get the exact damage formula. The third gen damage formula was really close to the fourth gen damage formula. Unless they radically change the damage forumla, I would expect the fourth gen damage formula to be good enough as long as you aren't trying to EV a Pokemon to survive by 1 guranteed or something like that.

Honestly Serebii will have 1-5 before anyone else, I'd rather see Battle Subway stuff.
Bad Luck - Rise Critical Hits rate against yourself.
Payback is Assurance, Assurance is Payback.
Lunar Dance does some random thing I don't even remember.
Power Swap swaps your Attack and Sp Attack with your opponent.
Solid Rock halves damage from Super effect attacks.
Life Orb doubles offensive power.
And lots more stuff.

I'm not saying all of that is Serebii's fault but just a move description can tell you a lot less than you might think especially if it get mistranslated.

I'd like to see mechanical changes such as the IV's being 8 stats or something like that? How do the seeds and RNG work with that? EV's only in fours now?

Also would like to see if that Platinum rain glitch still exists (it doesn't for HG/SS right? I'm not even sure).

Aside from that, I wonder if seasons make any competitive difference.
The weather glitch still occurs in HG/SS.

And now that I think about it. You guys are right. Serebii will have all the in-game stuff. I guess if that's already taken care of, the researchers here should focus more on the possible mathematical changes of the game (i.e. damage formula, stat boosts/reductions, % of secondary effects of moves, changes in EV distribution, etc.).

Most of the basic information should be gathered first(stats, movepools, etc), and it shouldn't take that much time when the game is released. The thing that would really need research is how different abilities and moves apply in the different situations that are bound to come up in the new generation. Lots of research to do in that department.

To be truthful my first interest isn't in the new Pokemon, but changes to my old favorites. For this reason things like moves and new abilities take priority for me.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I really think that the damage calculation, however easy it may be to find, should be the first thing on the list. Nintendo could throw a curveball on this one and add something new to the mix, and I think that we have to be prepared for that more than anything else, as even a slight change to the damage formula could have a radical effect on gameplay due to the ~650 pokemon that will exist in Gen 5.

The damage formula isn't stored in one place in the ROM, but is actually a bunch of checks in multiple places to multiply/add to the damage done.

Base Stats and move lists are relativity easy, because they are stored in a table, which is sorted by National Dex number.

LONELYNESS LONELYNESS LONELYNESS said:
1. Base Stat Totals
2. Complete Movepools
3. Ability descriptions and distribution
4. New Moves
5. New Items
6. Everything else

In that order preferebly.
Definitely agree with LN here. Combination attacks would be a strong #6 for me, though. I'm most excited to get the tools I need to start theorymonning some gen 5 teams and start thinking more about what "the metagames" might be. I probably care more about VGC than OU at this point, so combination attacks would be nice to figure out, but it's hard to do anything meaningful without the main statistical information. It'd be an important step in getting simulators going, too, which I'm sure everyone will be rather excited about.

The damage formula would be the next most interesting thing to me because of those aforementioned simulators, but it's a project than entails a very different amount and type of work, lol.

The stuff which will get my database for my simulator set up quickest.

So:

1. New moves
2. New Abilities
3. BSTs
4. Typing
5. New items

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)