What kind of research do you want to see done first?

Old moves first, as if everyone pays too much attention to all new things they'll certainly go unnoticed at first and I'm sure that I'm not the only one who wants to know if they're changing Stealth Rock and Defog.

Then... what CheesiePoofs said, as well as the possible new background mechanics (8 IVs? Friendship affecting stats? Oh boy, I'm curious).

I know I'm being a bit of a prick but I'm certain that someone in Japan will upload all this data and barf it into Serebii or some other place before we have to worry too much about order. This isn't like DP release; Hell, it's even still on the DS. I'm sure wonderous people like Mingot will have this bitch bent over their knee before the end of the month, if not the end of the week.

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Combination attacks and what (if any) mechanics differ in Triples from Doubles. These are two brand new components of Pokemon in black and white and, after the infodump, are probably the best things to research. The Gen 5 damage formula is likely not to be to different from Gen 4 and the fine tuning can be done over time. With Combos and Triple battles we are potentially starting from scratch and it would be good to get some solid info on them down.

To be truthful my first interest isn't in the new Pokemon, but changes to my old favorites. For this reason things like moves and new abilities take priority for me.
I'm not sure old pokemon will get new moves (besides TMs). If you recall RSE, most old pokemon had their level-up move lists unchanged, and BW has had a lot of parallels with RSE thus far.

I agree that we should let other sites (Serebii, etc.) handle all the in-game crap as it gets exported from the source. This would free up our resources to work on other things the game doesn't tell the player outright, such as newly introduced mechanics and changes to existing ones. For example, we still have no fucking clue what Victini's Victory Star ability does, but if the trend of Mew, Celebi and Jirachi from the first 3 generations is any indication, this will be the base 100 event legend. We could even get some theorymon going as move pools, abilities, and item workings are divulged. To continue the earlier example of Victini, its Fire/Psychic typing means he won't like coming into SR (not always a bad thing - hi, Gyarados), but he will probably have a lot of fun STABs to play with in either a wallbreaker or late sweeper role.

Hell, I know it's a bit eleventh-hour, but perhaps those of us that frequent multiple sites could try to organize a grand note-comparing event soon after the release--as soon as we can tear ourselves away from our pre-ordered copies of Halo Reach, of course. :P

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus
In my opinion we should work out the BST straight after we learn the typings as this will give us a (rough) idea about the competitive value of the pokemon. Next should be the move pool and then the abilities. Items next and combinations last since significantly less people play Doubles (or triples I'm guessing) than singles.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Lunar Dance does some random thing I don't even remember.
It was a Cosmic Power clone (wtf).

And I agree with those who want the Combos/Triples to be researched at first. After that, what every move and then ability does and finally, whatever changed in EVs, IVs and happiness (as some rumors suggest it happened).

1) New mechanics sorted out
2) any changes to old pokemon i.e. new moves and abilities
3) new pokemon with moves, stats and ability descriptions
4) New items
5) Pokedex set up and competitive value sorted out for each pokemon.

Yea it's a long process but this will take a long time to sort out so i kinda tried to aim mine for the future like 1 years workish maybe less?

as the rom leaks, i'll post sompething like this: http://pokedex-br.info/dpdex.txt

but without some informations:
-Name of new pokemon
-name of new moves
-name of new abilities
-new forms of evolution
-name of TMs (i'll know only the number of tm and who learns)
-name of the move tutor moves (i'll know only who learns)

this 6 things we'll have to descover by playing the game. but learnset and base stats it's almost immediatelly after release.

later, after post this, I'll post all information about moves, something like this: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_moves but with more details...

later on, I can put here minor things like list of pokemon location, list of pokemon learnset of battle subway and things like that

Basic information should be compiled about each pokemon first, like stats, movepools, which breeding combinations are invalid, and so on. Then information about the new abilities/moves. Then mechanics like new doubles/triples changes and the damage forumula. RNG should be last, because it isnt that important to the simulator

first off, a walkthrough in English. After that what LN said. Also, will the metagame be doubles or triples or singles? Anyways, I bet all the stuff will come out within a month on serebii and bulbapedia, so we really only have to worry about the damage formulas, actualy boosts, and any changes to gen 3/4 moves, since i think that will fly under the radar

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
1. Base Stat Totals
2. Complete Movepools
3. Battle Mechanics
4. Ability descriptions and distribution
5. New Moves
6. New Items
7. Everything else

I'd like to see mechanical changes such as the IV's being 8 stats or something like that? How do the seeds and RNG work with that? EV's only in fours now?

Also would like to see if that Platinum rain glitch still exists (it doesn't for HG/SS right? I'm not even sure).

Aside from that, I wonder if seasons make any competitive difference.
This is the second time I've read a post saying the IVs will be 8. Is there a link to the source of this information? My priority on research is going to be RNG mechanics and between game trade mechanics, so I'd like to verify this statement about IVs.

Meh when the rom is out, everything is contained inside it, the BST, moves, abilities etc will be out on the very same day. You shouldn't need worry about BST, other stuff yeah trying to figure out how it works.

first off, a walkthrough in English. After that what LN said. Also, will the metagame be doubles or triples or singles? Anyways, I bet all the stuff will come out within a month on serebii and bulbapedia, so we really only have to worry about the damage formulas, actualy boosts, and any changes to gen 3/4 moves, since i think that will fly under the radar
What metagame? Ours, or the official VGC one? VGC is more than likely going to be triples.

i think VGC will be triples. I meant our metagame. People kept saying we would have double battle analysis and stuff like that when shoddy 2 came out, but that won't happen. However, generation 5 wont have enough competition to start out so that we can have singles, doubles, and triples. We really only have room for 1 to start, and we can move on to the others later. I think we will start with singles because that has always been smogon's thing, even in gen 3. I also prefer singles, but it makes perfect sense to start with another format.

Assuming no infodump, I'd like this order unless somebody has loads of free time.

1) Complete movesets
2) What moves do
3) Combination attacks
4) triples
5) Abilities
6) BST
7 or 8) Damage formula
7 or 8) RNG
9) in-game only stuff

Basically, I'd like to know what each pokemon can do and how. I'd like to know the limits, etc. Basically, I'd like the stuff that'll help get the simulator for Gen V finished entirely sooner.

1. BST - Old generation Pokes and New Poke I'd like to see if GF makes any old Pokes viable that weren't before. Then How the new IV/EV system is going to work.

2. Moves - testing of new moves complete movepools on new and old Pokes

3. New Abilities - New Abilities on new and old pokes then testing on auto sand beacause the new auto atk and auto speed abilities might make it overpowered

4. Battle Mechanics - if it changes at all... probally will...

5. New items - viability of new items

6. Multiple battles and anything associated like combo moves

7. everything else

1. Base Stat Totals
2. Complete Movepools
3. Ability descriptions and distribution
4. New Moves
5. New Items
6. Everything else

In that order preferebly.
This, it seems like the best order for competetive battling and once the first two are done, we can start thinking about sets for the Pokemon.

This is the second time I've read a post saying the IVs will be 8. Is there a link to the source of this information? My priority on research is going to be RNG mechanics and between game trade mechanics, so I'd like to verify this statement about IVs.
This doesn't really help you cause I can't remember the source (I definitely rember reading it on Pokejungle somewhere though), but I believe the original statement was that there would be 8 IV levels instead of the current 31.

In terms of research:
1. New moves
2. new abilities (also which pokemon get them, including old pokemon with new abilities)
3. BSTs
4. movepools (including any changes to old ones)
5. items
6. combination attacks in singles
7. combos in doubles/other doubles stuff
8. triple battle info
9. damage formula and other things like that, including accurate probabilities of confusion damage, thawing when frozen. Also weather mechanics
9. out of battle mechanics like breeding, ivs, evs
10. the rng

1. For the sake of being ABLE to even play the game, I would say Level-based movesets would be the most helpful, then the other moves.
2. Any changes to old moves
3. New Items
4. Abilities
5. DW abilities
6. Base Stats.
7. If the IV/EV system changes, it's going to be important to know how it works.
999. Guides. Let the metagame sort it itself out before giving noobs the opportunity to turn it stale again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)