What kind of research do you want to see done first?

I would say to work on the changes to the IV/EV system should be the first thing on the list. Let Serebii sort out all the new moves and abilities and crap, ALL of that should be on his site by day 3 of the release. However, if we have a brand-new IV and EV system in place we DEFINATELY should be sorting that out first.

EDIT: Forgot about BST's, those should come before the IV/EV system. But still, leave the new moves and all that to Serebii, where new pokemon/moves/abilities are likely the top priority.

1. BST
2. New Moves & Distribution
3. New Abilities & Distribution
4. Changes to old moves
5. Complete Movepools
6. New Items
7. IV/EV system, if it changes
8. Everything else

Correct me if I'm wrong but IIRC, Serebii had a complete Pokedex as well as Level Up learnsets, base stats and I think Egg Moves within days of the DP release. If you have a team of researchers to just play through the game then it's incredibly easy to get this information without having to delve into the game's inner workings at all.

BSTs definitely need to be first, they're the most important thing a Pokemon has to offer besides typing. New Abilities, changed Abilities and new/changed moves should be next I think since even with that most basic level of info we can start to determine which are going to be the top competitive Pokemon in early BW.

@ thelaytonmobile Thanks to your post, I was able to find the PokeJungle blog post. It doesn't say 8 IVs per stat. The post clearly states this is still a rumour and the rumour is that there might be 8 stats instead of 6, not 8 IVs per stat. Thanks again. I'm less concerned about researching the RNG mechanics now.

Correct me if I'm wrong but IIRC, Serebii had a complete Pokedex as well as Level Up learnsets, base stats and I think Egg Moves within days of the DP release. If you have a team of researchers to just play through the game then it's incredibly easy to get this information without having to delve into the game's inner workings at all.

BSTs definitely need to be first, they're the most important thing a Pokemon has to offer besides typing. New Abilities, changed Abilities and new/changed moves should be next I think since even with that most basic level of info we can start to determine which are going to be the top competitive Pokemon in early BW.
Serebii was also very wrong about a lot of things for a very long time. Missing egg moves especially. I think they're still missing a few.

Why is BST so important, really its the combination of multiple factors that make a pokemon viable, some BST monsters are still trash because of their movepool and typing.

Why is BST so important, really its the combination of multiple factors that make a pokemon viable, some BST monsters are still trash because of their movepool and typing.
Well I hope by BST, I hope everyone really means Base Stats since BST doesn't tell us a whole lot about a Pokemon. We also already know the Pokemons' types and there's a lot of moves that are all but guarenteed on Pokemon based on their type and appearence. Huge Movepool can also mislead you just like high Base Stats, like with Corsola and Clefable.

Tory

Banned deucer.
1. Abilities
2. Move Set Lists
3. Combination Attacks
4. Moves
5. Items
6. Trainer Listing
7. Battle Subway
8. Pokemon Locations

This possible may happen, I really want Regigigas to have I different ability from the dream world. I don't really have to worry about Pokemon Locations. Say hello to Action Replay 3DS!

0. Core Mechanics changes
1. Base Stats Totals
2. Complete Movepools
3. Ability descriptions and distribution and changes to existing abilities
4. New Moves and changes to old moves
5. New Items and changes to old items
6. Everything else
6. Any new, non-core mechanics we get, including Miracle Shooter.
7. Whether Acid Weather/any other potentially game-changing glitches (due to still being on DS and likely having SOME code reuse) still work in Gen V. Pushing the envelope to find B/W-exclusive glitches may also go in this section.
8. Other random stuff.
9. Getting Gen V onto Shoddy 2.

In that order preferebly.
My version of events.

Otherwise spot-on.

0. Core Mechanics changes
1. Base Stats Totals
2. Complete Movepools
3. Ability descriptions and distribution and changes to existing abilities
4. New Moves and changes to old moves
5. New Items and changes to old items
6. Any new, non-core mechanics we get, including Miracle Shooter.
7. Whether Acid Weather still works in Gen V.
8. Other random stuff.
9. Getting Gen V onto Shoddy 2.

In that order preferebly.
Perfect. 2-6 will likely be covered by other sites though, but a check to make sure that they are 100% correct is probably necessary.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
BST, moves , etc... but mainly I need to do a quick sweep of all my favorite pokemon to see if they got buffed / nerfed.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Here's the problem with stealing straight from Serebii: It's still wrong sometimes. We want to be accurate and up to date (not like 4th gen post-Plat where we still don't have HGSS stuff). We want to make sure we're right by testing it ourselves.

And everything else LN said.

Basically, stuff to start the competitive battling, or at least, theorymonning.

1. Base Stats
2. Movesets
3. Abilities + Dreamworld ones
4. Pokemon locations
5. New items & Tm's locations & effects
6. Everything else, whenever.

Upstart

Copy Cat
I agree mostly with what everyone says. However I was wondering just how one finds the base stats. I understand there is a formula but do they (finders of th base stats) have to do that for all stats?

The base stats, movepools, and ability lists are all stored in tables in the game, so there is no need to ask that to be researched.

Upstart

Copy Cat
The base stats, movepools, and ability lists are all stored in tables in the game, so there is no need to ask that to be researched.
So they should all be found pretty quickly. Are moves on this table; defining what they are/ what they do?

Moves and abilities are in a separate table. What research would find, is the how the moves/abilities interact with each other in ways that aren't directly stated, or are stated wrong in the in game move/item/ability description.

Upstart

Copy Cat
O wow then this table covers most of the wants of people well at least enough info to hold us by until we can better define moves and such.

This might be a stupid question but how do you know the multiplier for damage boosting items like life orb? Is it on this table? Do you run calcs?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)