Samurott

Flygon pulls it off with 100 atk, so with 108 sp. atk, it should be viable.
Flygon also has immunity to Spikes/Sandstorm/Toxic Spikes/Electric/Ground, resistance to Stealth Rock, U-turn, Ground/Dragon STAB, etc. Daikenki could be used, but it doesn't have nearly the utility of Flygon so it's not even remotely comparable.

Flygon also has immunity to Spikes/Sandstorm/Toxic Spikes/Electric/Ground, resistance to Stealth Rock, U-turn, Ground/Dragon STAB, etc. Daikenki could be used, but it doesn't have nearly the utility of Flygon so it's not even remotely comparable.
True... Maybe he could be used in uu?

I know it may be a bit too late but I tested for ~20 battles the following set with a lot of success.
Daikenki @Lefties
Bold nature, 252 hp / 252 def / 6 spa
~Boiling Water / Surf
~Toxic
~Encore
~Protect

Alright, here goes. Scout a move with Protect. If it's a physical move, encore it or use boiling water. Toxic shuts down bulky waters, and lols at burunkeru (you can encore its shadow ball or recover for extra trolling). This set also survives a +2 doryuuzu earthquake and, thanks to torrent, you can slay it with your water move of choice.

Honestly, I think Daikenki's role (in either OU or UU) will be as a bulky attacker with access to priority.

Daikenki@Life Orb / Leftovers
Quiet; 252 HP / 6 Atk / 252 SpA

Aqua Jet
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam / Megahorn
Hidden Power Electric / Grass Knot

In terms of OU, Aqua Jet is nice priority, managing an average of 51% on 6 HP Doryuuzu and nabbing a decent chunk on other attackers. Hydro Pump lets Daikenki get in to fire off a powerful attack, while Ice Beam complements the set by hitting Grass-types (Megahorn, however, is still an option for hitting Celebi for the KO). HP Electric lets it hit other water-types, and Grass Knot does the same but trading hits on Vaporeon and Gyarados for more potent attacks on Swampert and Suicune. It finds itself playing similarly to LOMilotic, but with no priority over recovery.

In terms of UU (I don't play too much so bear with me), Daikenki is still significantly strong. Aqua Jet knocks off around 40% to 120/0 Neutral Arcanine, one of the bulkier fire-types of the tier, and obviously has its uses against the likes of RPRhyperior and physically frail sweepers like Mismagius and Alakazam. It sports the 3rd most powerful Hydro Pump in the tier, after Gorebyss and Omaster, and the set takes advantage of that. The lesser amount of dragons in the tier makes a stronger case for Megahorn over Ice Beam, which is about a 3HKO on Tangrowth, and is overall a powerful attack in general. HP Grass is probably superior over Grass Knot due to UU's lesser weight.

Using a Hasty nature, he can pull off a ScarfTar, just faster and with a smaller mixed movepool. HECK, you can even run Encore for the forced switch, at which point you also have to switch,

THAT would be a novel idea.
I don't blame you Gran. Like I said a few posts back. He's just so bland, his options are few. That Encore becomes a necessary move on a Choice set :/

He's still my starter though, and running through the game has been a matter of Shell Blade spam. Or against Gyms, just SD up, sweep. Bread and butter pokemon, if i must say.

I'm thinking about a SD set with Encore. Feraligatr has more atk and swords dance + aqua jet as well but he lacks encore. So I guess Daikenki can come in on something it can encore into a useless move and force a switch which he can use to set up a SD. I'm not sure wich moves to use on the remaining two slots. I love priority, so I'd most likely go with aqua jet to surpass his somewhat low speed. It lacks power though. I am unsure if I should use return over megahorn as many grass types nowadays pack secondary poison typing as well and I dont wanna be setup fodder for gyra and mence (if he returns).
As there are no tiers yet I'll have to consider those. If he goes to UU (I dont think he'll make it to OU without some new moves from the third game) I'd run megahorn over return simply for tangrowth/torterra though.

Wow, I had to go back 15 pages to find him!

Too bad he doesn't get Shell Break; it seems made for Mijamaru!

I just saw a cool name speculation for him (though it's been around for a bit)...
Shoalgun!
Shoal+Shogun!

I'm thinking about using him for a SwordsDance/Aqua Jet set.

Megahorn and Encore (not forgetting Taunt) is really what separates Daikenki from the other Torrent abusers. Grass Pokemon are a liability to switch in, and Encore gives him plenty of opportunities to setup.

This thing has some pretty middling defenses, so any Stall attempt with him is probably outclassed by umpteen number of Bulky Waters. Abuse those offensives and decent movepool.

I'm thinking about using him for a SwordsDance/Aqua Jet set.
Only problem is, that Feraligatr does it a bit better (its Aqua Jets are slightly stronger than Daikenki's; Feraligatr is also faster and a bit more bulkier). However, Daikenki gets Megahorn to maim any Grass types that attempt to stop its sweep.

I'm thinking about a SD set with Encore. Feraligatr has more atk and swords dance + aqua jet as well but he lacks encore. So I guess Daikenki can come in on something it can encore into a useless move and force a switch which he can use to set up a SD. I'm not sure wich moves to use on the remaining two slots. I love priority, so I'd most likely go with aqua jet to surpass his somewhat low speed. It lacks power though. I am unsure if I should use return over megahorn as many grass types nowadays pack secondary poison typing as well and I dont wanna be setup fodder for gyra and mence (if he returns).
Actually, because of Encore, Salamence and Gyarados wouldn't be able to set up. You could simply stay in and use Encore when they DD, and then they would have to switch out. You'd be in a blind switch situation if you both switched, but they can't set up in your face, and you might have even netted some SR damage on them, which will help.

And even if they do attack you, you either Encore that move and you can switch to something that resists or you lose Daikenki, and you can switch to a counter. Encore and SD sounds pretty awesome to me with Aqua Jet and Return/Megahorn.

Has someone posted an encore set yet?

Daikenki @Life orb/ leftovers
Adamant/Jolly
252Atk/252Spe/6Hp
-Waterfall/Aqua tail
-Return
-Swords dance
-Encore

Use encore on a setup move, so you can score an SD or two. Water+Normal get very good coverage, resisted only by Empoleon, Shedinja, and Natorei (Spelling?), and that's all I can think of right now.

Has someone posted an encore set yet?

Daikenki @Life orb/ leftovers
Adamant/Jolly
252Atk/252Spe/6Hp
-Waterfall/Aqua tail
-Return
-Swords dance
-Encore

Use encore on a setup move, so you can score an SD or two. Water+Normal get very good coverage, resisted only by Empoleon, Shedinja, and Natorei (Spelling?), and that's all I can think of right now.
This was almost exactly the first set I tried, except it had Megahorn instead of Return. He's too slow to pull encore successfully, I think, but encoring set up is always a charm as it nails (at least) a free swords dance.

I tried using a bulky SD Daikenki on PO. The priority in Aqua jet and the power of Megahorn is great but besides that, its speed is a real let down and it isn't exactly the bulkiest water around.

Key problem with Daikenki I find having used it though is he is absolutely near completely outclassed by Feraligatr and if you even try anything remotely resembling physical it only makes it more painfully obvious.

Feraligatr simply has superior HP, attack, def, s.def and even speed.

As a swords dance user Feraligatr is better, for priority Feraligatr is superior again, even for coverage Feraligatr is still better having Superpower and Encourage boosted Ice Punch, Crunch, Waterfall all as options also thanks to Encourage can run recoiless Life Orb on those moves too.

Hell he even gets Dragon Dance to add insult to injury...

In fact he can't even make it as a phazer since although he gets Dragon Tail, so does Blastoise with better defenses.

Only real advantages the guy gets is Encore, Taunt, Air Slash and Megahorn and his decent s.atk. But with that kind of speed and only decent defenses at best w/ no recovery and no immunities hes pretty hard to bring onto anything. If you use him as a support staller there are simply better fish in the pool, about only thing he seems to get right is as a special attacker with aqua jet for priority.

Daikenki @ Lefties
252 SpA 252 Speed
Modest
~Hydro pump
~Ice Beam
~Air Slash
~HP Electric

I have been playing with this set on PO for some time, and I must say it rips through unsuspecting teams. Especially with rain up...

Daikenki @ Lefties
252 SpA 252 Speed
Modest
~Hydro pump
~Ice Beam
~Air Slash
~HP Electric

I have been playing with this set on PO for some time, and I must say it rips through unsuspecting teams. Especially with rain up...
Lanturn is going to wall this set badly, though. Life Orb could go instead of Lefties if you want your moves to be stronger, but Lefties recovery is always good.

Lanturn is going to wall this set badly, though. Life Orb could go instead of Lefties if you want your moves to be stronger, but Lefties recovery is always good.
As if anyone uses Lanturn anyway. ^_^

Rotom-W though, is worth mentioning, as it is pretty common. Daikenki can learn Grass Knot though, which does help and is potentially more useful than HP Electric.

Grass Knot barely does any damage to Rotom though because it's damn light (Hydro Pump does more than double the damage... and it's a resisted move >_>)
To top if off, it also barely scratches Lanturn too.

If you want something to hit those, HP Grass is the way to go unfortunately.

Grass Knot barely does any damage to Rotom though because it's damn light (Hydro Pump does more than double the damage... and it's a resisted move >_>)
To top if off, it also barely scratches Lanturn too.

If you want something to hit those, HP Grass is the way to go unfortunately.
That is true, but I think Lanturn is a little bit on the larger side. I'd rather just go mixed and hit them with a Megahorn or Return if that's the case though. :/

Instead of Ice Beam in the "Special Wotter" you could do with Blizzard. Also I don't think Grass Knot will be much necessary.

the thing that really makes feraligatr outclass our favorite samurai on the physical side is its ability to increase its speed. i use both and i just run agility on my gatr with a lifeorb and he wrecks things. if daikenki had agility or dd or cough* shell-break/smash* cough ge would be borderline at least. unlike gatr he casn go special or mixed (but he lacks the speed for that).

i run a a special diakenki with air-slash, surf, grassknot, and icebeam. modest with max sp attack evs and i have 176 speed and 76 hp ev's. It surprises me how much this thing survives stuff and gets a revenge kill. if only he was base 100. it would be beaitiful. we just have to hope shell break or agility is in our future.

can anyone give me the translation of his name by the way. i kno the kenki part is roughly energy sword but what about the dai?

Instead of Ice Beam in the "Special Wotter" you could do with Blizzard. Also I don't think Grass Knot will be much necessary.
But why Blizzard?

Samurai Wotter is just made for Shell Break. His stats are decent but not great. However, giving them a boost would be a great boon to him. My only question is whether Cloyster and Abagoora make better Shell Breakers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)