Samurott

It wouldn't make any sense. Daikenki uses its shells as swords rather than for protection, so it would be ludicrous if it knew a move where it destroyed them and its attack raised.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
It wouldn't make any sense. Daikenki uses its shells as swords rather than for protection, so it would be ludicrous if it knew a move where it destroyed them and its attack raised.
Which is why...Shell Armor is one of his abilities? What you're saying doesn't make any sense. It clearly uses them to protect itself as well if it has that ability.

True, Shell Break isn't that great of a move, but for Daikenki it would be a gift from God. It would make him more competitive and give him a chance against the powerful meta game that we know. He got the bad end of a deal, but we hope it gets rectified in gray, alongside Enbuoh who will hopefully get Submission to abuse STAB and Reckless.
i would say that unlike the other pokemon who get shell break, Heavy D would benefit the most simple because he isn't week to any priority. if a white herb were to be place on him the defense drop would be negated. with the exception of vacuum wave, all priority moves would be physical and with white herb do meh damage to daikenki. lucario is the only note worthy person that knows vacuum wave(blaziken has better things to do). Daikenki has perfect stats to take advantage of such a move and not be broken.

like i said before shell smash isn't even needed...with a agility he could be good too(now that i think make sacred sword not an exclusive move and pass it to other sword wielding pokemon)...well a special attacking variant. without a speed upping move he becomes fodder for natt and speedy pokemon packing thunderbolt. he has the offensive stats to maybe not sweep but to at least make dents.... he can also take a hit or two and dish it back. It has surprised me a lot just how well 95 base hp and 85 defense can go.

If we don't discuss what the future might hold for daikenki, we might as well stop the discussions because most of what he can do the three preceding water starters do slightly to much better(typing for empoleon , more defensive minded stat distribution for swampert with typing, and better movepool with feraligatr. to be fair they all have way more egg moves ). The original post pretty much shows all there is to him give or take a choice item.

it can be argued some of the shells are made for atacking and others for defending and shell break would...well break the defending ones. regardless of that daikenki is not gonna do anything other pokemons cant until pokemon grey give him something(i hope they will, if not then we better wait for gen 6) useful.

i have tried daiken with bulky spread and it work quite well in gimicky fashion.
Also lol at someone who said SB is not a good move
SB is arguably THE most broken move in existence of pokemon metagame history even with defense drops
Really(maybe before gear change or B Dance) and im dead serious
WH SB batton pass to something impossibly broken like Kyogre, Groudon, Ray, Zekrom, metagross etcetera is amazingly game finishing move even to prepared enemy

True, Shell Break isn't that great of a move, but for Daikenki it would be a gift from God. It would make him more competitive and give him a chance against the powerful meta game that we know. He got the bad end of a deal, but we hope it gets rectified in gray, alongside Enbuoh who will hopefully get Submission to abuse STAB and Reckless.
I have a feeling that the move's usefulness is dependant on the Pokémon who uses it. Cloyster and Omastar can make good use of it because they have lots of Defense to spare, combined with the fact that a boost to their offensive and speed stats makes them potent. on the flip side, you don't hear a whole lot about Shell Break Blastoise. Or do you?

Daikenki is outclass by every fully evolve water type in existence from seaking to kyogre he needs complicated or gimmicky sets too damage but he has a special niche as the worst water type released this gen arigato Game Freak you ruin a cool and clever concept.
lol
Haters gonna hate.

Daikenki is outclass by every fully evolve water type in existence from seaking to kyogre he needs complicated or gimmicky sets too damage but he has a special niche as the worst water type released this gen arigato Game Freak you ruin a cool and clever concept.
Um

Compared to Seaking, Daikenki has

More Speed
More Attack
More SpA
More physical bulk
Around the same special bulk
Swords Dance
Aqua Jet
Grass Knot
Dragon Tail
...Taunt.

Seaking has

Swift Swim
OR
Lightningrod
...Poison Jab.

...nah.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Um

Compared to Seaking, Daikenki has

More Speed
More Attack
More SpA
More physical bulk
Swords Dance
Aqua Jet
Grass Knot
Dragon Tail
...Taunt.

Seaking has

Swift Swim
OR
Lightningrod
...Poison Jab.

...nah.
And there's a lot more fully evolved Pokemon coming from there.

In all seriousness, Daikenki may be "outclassed" in some aspects, not all aspects in comparison to other fully evolved water-types. His use of Megahorn and some versatile moves that no other Water-type can use is what sets him apart from them. High to moderate support is needed to function with Daikenki. Moderate to high support is needed to function with Daikenki.

And yes, Shell Break is incredibly situational, and it'd be a godsend. I'd appreciate it if Daikenki got a better move, though.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
He's not going to be shaking up the metagame by any means, but posts like Heeros are a bit unfair.

He's basically Blastoise but with better offenses and less defenses. That in itself isn't an overly attractive prospect but if I was trying to say something positive about this guy I'd probably say that he seems like a fairly decent tank. Pure water is an excellent typing as we all know and his physical bulk is really quite impressive (almost identical to Blastoise in fact, slightly better than Vaporeons and much better than Milotics). He has that handy Water/Ice/Grass coverage that Bulky Waters love, but this dude does it with Grass Knot instead of HP Grass. He also has that great base Atk which means you can slap Aqua Jet on the end of an otherwise purely special set and still deal respectable damage on specific targets like Doryuuzu and Ulgamoth as well as being nice for just picking things off in general. He also makes a decent Dragon Tail user because, unlike Milotic, he actually has the muscle to break the Substitutes of frail things like Ninjask. And don't forget about his immunity to critical hits - the bane of all bulky waters.

Something like...

Daikenki @ Leftovers
252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpA or SpD
Relaxed / Bold
Torrent (or Shell Armor in DW)
- Boiling Water
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Aqua Jet / Dragon Tail / Encore

EVs ensure he always survives +2 Doryuuzu Earthquake after SR (79% on avg), rest dumped into SpA to hit harder (108 base SpA makes him the second strongest of all bulky waters, only Vappy has more SpA) or SpD to patch up
that poor 70 base stat. The last slot is team support...Aqua Jet is ever useful priority and works off that base 100 Atk stat whereas Dragon Tail/Encore are generally awesome moves and allow him to phaze.

So yeah, Daikenki is mediocrity personified but I tried. :(

(and jesus guys, stop talking about Shell Break)

He's not going to be shaking up the metagame by any means, but posts like Heeros are a bit unfair.

He's basically Blastoise but with better offenses and less defenses. That in itself isn't an overly attractive prospect but if I was trying to say something positive about this guy I'd probably say that he seems like a fairly decent tank. Pure water is an excellent typing as we all know and his physical bulk is really quite impressive (almost identical to Blastoise in fact, slightly better than Vaporeons and much better than Milotics). He has that handy Water/Ice/Grass coverage that Bulky Waters love, but this dude does it with Grass Knot instead of HP Grass. He also has that great base Atk which means you can slap Aqua Jet on the end of an otherwise purely special set and still deal respectable damage on specific targets like Doryuuzu and Ulgamoth as well as being nice for just picking things off in general. He also makes a decent Dragon Tail user because, unlike Milotic, he actually has the muscle to break the Substitutes of frail things like Ninjask. And don't forget about his immunity to critical hits - the bane of all bulky waters.

Something like...

Daikenki @ Leftovers
252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpA or SpD
Relaxed / Bold
- Boiling Water
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

EVs ensure he always survives +2 Doryuuzu Earthquake after SR (79% on avg), rest dumped into SpA to hit harder (108 base SpA makes him the second strongest of all bulky waters, only Vappy has more SpA) or SpD to patch up
that poor 70 base stat. The last slot is team support...Aqua Jet is ever useful priority and works off that base 100 Atk stat whereas Dragon Tail/Encore are generally awesome moves and allow him to phaze.

So yeah, Daikenki is mediocrity personified but I tried. :(

(and jesus guys, stop talking about Shell Break)
I tried that set and it works well. It took a +2 EQ from Garchomp and KOed it with Ice Beam and still had over 1/3 of health left.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Lee's Bulky Water set a actually looks pretty fun, despite there being a thousand other *fish* out there to use in the sea. I might test it out and see how it does, and hopefully it won't be too comparable.

As far as offensive goes, there shoukd be a way to make a loophole.

hey guys i found some proof that daikenki can walk on two legs.( i know this has nothing to do with him competitively but hey, it's interesting.)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_chu/5213691639/

some dude drew a picture on deviant art of a bipedal daikenki and gave a like to pictures of items he purchased from pokecenter japan. With this proof we know that it's the art for daikenki that makes him look like a plush toy

I've run into Daikenki a few times, and he really hasn't accomplished much before being KO'd. It's a shame, it has awesome official art (but its sprite isn't as good). I wish they gave something so awesome more viability.

Okay, right now we need to worry about what Dai can do right now. Worrying about Shell Break can wait, and I'm really one to talk :P. Anyway, from experimenting, the only sets I've used so far that have done okay or moderately well are these two

S.S.S. (Subbing Samurai Sealion) (my own name for the set): By Rhykard3
Item: Salac Berry
Nature: Jolly
EV: 252 ATK/ 252 SPE/ 4 HP
Move Set:
Waterfall/ Aqua Jet
Substitute
Megahorn/Return/Night Slash
Swords Dance

and

Bulky Bushido (again original name):By Lee
Item: Leftovers
Nature:Relaxed / Bold
EV: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpA or SpD
- Boiling Water/ Surf
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

If anyone has any other ideas, please post them. The guy who made the OP hasn't been on since mid october so we don't have any other up to date sets.

I tried a SD sub Torrent set, and it really underwhelming.

I always get to +5 attack with torrent activated, yet it does pitiful damage. Which makes no sense, considering Aqua jet would have the same base power and technician Scizor's bullet punch.

and even Shell Break isn't that good of a move in itself.
What are you talking about? Shell Break is an incredible set up move.

on the flip side, you don't hear a whole lot about Shell Break Blastoise. Or do you?
Because Blastoise doesn't learn Shell Break for some reason. If it did, its niche would probably be attempting to fire off extremely powerful Water Spouts.

Anyway, Daikenki can be useful. One of its benefits over other Water-types is its solid mixed offenses and a few nice coverage options outside of the Water/Ice combo.

Its main problem is that it doesn't really stand out anywhere. It's sort of on the same page as Huntail, except Daikenki has better base stats but lacks Swift Swim and Shell Break, so he might even be worse off in some circumstances (such as in the rain).

I always get to +5 attack with torrent activated, yet it does pitiful damage. Which makes no sense, considering Aqua jet would have the same base power and technician Scizor's bullet punch.

The SubSalac is a LOT better. Try it out.

You're... kidding, right? With +5 attack Jolly 252 Atk Daikenki hits like 1400 attack with Torrent activated hits 60BP then factoring in STAB, that's 90BP (correct me if I'm wrong). That should be doing some serious damage...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)